Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Steeda underdrive pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:16 PM
els35
1st Gear Member

I had the same question before, and they told me if I want a shiny thing under the hood go for it, other than that they are useless for bolt on MODS.. Save your money for other MODS.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VN4308
I'm thinking 5 to 10 more horsepower is not worth the extra worries of electrical drain and less flow from the water pump on a DD....reading many different posts kind of help make up my mind....now if this was not a DD then Steeda UDP would be the way to go.....its seems some have no problems and some due...my luck I would fall into the some due catagory
that's your choice and that's unfortunate being that it's one of the most affordable mods that you can buy. I have had mine about four years and had no problem what so ever accept a little whinning noise at first on the belt but did notice a noticeable about of power increase. I paid 70 dollars to have them installed. they cost me then 200 dollars and a course I went with Steeda. Also know that a electric water pump will give you about 2 more horsepower at the most. Good luck with your decision.:icon_rally
Old 10-21-2009, 03:14 AM
Vankor
1st Gear Member

I just got one of these pulleys and it will be installed in the next week. I had read on some of the older Mustang threads (late 80's bodystyle) that they seemed to mostly have problems with it, but I figure the electrical system is 20 years newer for my '05. So for the S197 models haven't experienced any issues with the Steeda UDP, so I'm trusting mine will be fine. I'm having it put on at the same time as my JBA headers and midpipe so I won't notice a difference from just the UDP. I'm just trying to minimize my trips to the shop :P
Old 10-21-2009, 03:38 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by Alopez0630
Hey guys i have a quick question. What do you guys think about the steeda throttle body spacer for 05-09 mustang gts. Do you think its worth the buy
not worth it....
Originally Posted by els35
I had the same question before, and they told me if I want a shiny thing under the hood go for it, other than that they are useless for bolt on MODS.. Save your money for other MODS.
agreed....useless

UDP's- get them an they will power everything on the car just fine.

Nuke and others....Electric H20 pump IMO is NOT worth it....you want a cooler engine .....get a different thermostat!!! (I have 160 deg from Whipple) the H20 pump we have now is more then enough esp for N/A cars.

Oh and that pump on a car with FI is a setup for disaster...as SteedaGus stated...when it fails temps rise quickly...then detonation....and BOOM...motor is toast!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Aren't UDPs worthless with a supercharger? I've always read around here that you don't bother getting UDPs if you get a blower.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Aren't UDPs worthless with a supercharger? I've always read around here that you don't bother getting UDPs if you get a blower.
I would think an undedrive crank pulley with a blower would just make the blower spin slower, not a good idea if you are trying to make more power.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:02 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

I've had my UDP for two Las Vegas summers in my DD 05GT and had no problems whatsoever. I run the A/C a lot. No real SOTP feel, but I did notice she's more rev happy with a slight increase in MPG. The install is simple and the UDP are worth it...
Old 10-21-2009, 07:51 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

yes they are unless you have a Whipple and the Steeda belt drive....thats the only exception
Originally Posted by Casey4s
I would think an undedrive crank pulley with a blower would just make the blower spin slower, not a good idea if you are trying to make more power.
makes sense if your running one belt for the S/C and the accessories

not the case with this belt drive.....I was just throwing that out there but it is possible with the system I mentioned by Steeda.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:15 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

In some cases it's done to lower the boost intentionally. It's a popular thing to do with the Roush TVS unit since it seems the biggest pulley for it makes more boost than you would want on a stock block. So you'll drop a few psi by using a UDP putting you into the "safe zone."
Old 10-21-2009, 08:20 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Because of this thread I'm starting to think differently about the eH2O and UDP.

If I can find a UDP at a good price I may just slap one on. Perhaps I can find someone selling a Steeda UDP they're taking off due to the install of a supercharger.

Quick Reply: Steeda underdrive pulleys