Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Steeda underdrive pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 08:27 PM
VN4308

Default Steeda underdrive pulleys

I have just a couple of questions I'm trying to get answered.

Will the installation of these pulleys void any warranty? I'm a big fan of the warranty as you all know from my oil leak post.

When driving in heavy stop and go traffic with the air on etc....will I have problems from the avertised 25% reduction of accesery power?

I have the HID headlights which I assume drain quite a bit of juice...wil these affect those?

And last If these pulleys are so great how come they don't come from the factory?? silly question I know.

Steeda claims same oem quality plus a better dampner which is better for the engine...don,t understand that one.

Just don't want any forseen problems with my electrical...the dealer has no info but advised they will install free for me if I wish...

Thanks again hopefuly one of you out there wil be able to answer my questions.

DL
Old 09-18-2009, 08:37 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

The "installation" of anything will not void your warranty. Damage caused by mis-installation, or damage caused due to the part installed is subject to voiding a warranty.

Everything stock can be improved upon, hence the reason for such an overwhelming aftermarket. No manufacturer puts the best of anything on their car stock. We'd have a $60,000 MSRP Mustang if they did.

Can't answer the HID since I don't have them on my car, but my guess would be that you'd be fine.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:45 AM
SteedaM

Underdrive pulleys will not cause any electrical problems on a vehicle with a properly operating electrical system.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Steves07GTCS
1st Gear Member

Run them on my stang and the A/C works just fine, even at a standstill. It seemed to get warmer very slightly at long lights when I was in Florida a few months back, but that was in Florida- in July. No problems up here in Maryland!
Old 09-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

I believe HID's actually pull less energy than halogen. That is one of the reasons they are so awesome. More light, cooler bulb, less electricity to run them.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:06 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

Keep em coming I was gonna ask the same question.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:53 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I think you'd be better off with an eH2O pump. This way, you don't mess with your acc speed (which I'm still weary of), you reduce drag gaining the same/similar power as the UDP will, and cool better. Of course it'll cost a little more, but it does a lot more good at the same time.

I'm pretty sure I won't do an UDP, but I do want to do an eH2O pump.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
...I'm pretty sure I won't do an UDP, but I do want to do an eH2O pump.
I'm leaning that way myself.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:46 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

An electric water pump will not add better horsepower than underdrive pulleys, and its an additional electrical component that can fail.

If the pump were ever to fair, your engine would overheat fairly quickly and you risk serious engine damage if you dont notice the failure. With underdrive pulleys you also slow the water pump down which extends its life.

Here is a dyno sheet off a 2010 GT we did underdrive pulleys on recently.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:56 PM
VN4308

I'm thinking 5 to 10 more horsepower is not worth the extra worries of electrical drain and less flow from the water pump on a DD....reading many different posts kind of help make up my mind....now if this was not a DD then Steeda UDP would be the way to go.....its seems some have no problems and some due...my luck I would fall into the some due catagory

Quick Reply: Steeda underdrive pulleys