Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Oil analysis report - Not so great

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Oil analysis report - Not so great

I decided to switch to Amsoil 0W20 oil and Amsoil filter. Amsoil claims this combo good for up to 25K miles. Anyway, I put it in at 50K miles. At 60K miles, I took an oil sample and sent it to Blackstone Labs. I just got the results. They said it had high levels of iron, aluminum and chrome and suggested going to a 5K mile cycle instead of 10K miles.
I will do just that until my current supply of Amsoil oil is gone and will switch to Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 and Motorcraft filter and change it at 5K miles. Lesson learned. Hope I didn't do too much damage.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:45 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

hmm. good luck.

how much was the test?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:14 PM
scorpio333
2nd Gear Member

What did you run the first 50K? Did you have any samples drawn during that period?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Before I ran the Amsoil I ran Mobil 1 changed at 5K miles.
The test cost $22.50 with an extra $10 for a different test to test for additives, TBN test (The additives were still OK)). No, I didn't do a test with the Mobil 1.
I changed the oil at 60K miles and I will only leave it in for 5K miles this time.
I'm not overly concerned - I'm just glad I got the test kit. Now I know to change my maintenance plan.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

the high levels of iron and the other wear metals are because you ran mobil 1.
I dont use amsoil..i would never spend that much money on oil and i think its foolish for anyone to do so; but even though i dont use amsoil and never ever will..im 99 percent sure if you do another intrevel with AMSoil...you will have results that are 5 times better.

Mobil 1 constantly has issues with showing wear metals on oil analysis when brands are switched. even alone, it has high levels of wear metals on analysis. It's a crap oil imo and i have no idea why its become so popular. It's the last oil i'd use on any car.

BTW: i'm surprsied blackstone didnt tell you this..they should know quite well that cars that ran Mobil 1 before show high levels of iron and wear metals when it is switched to another brand.

Last edited by Jbauer; 10-24-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:15 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I always use full synthetic (after the motor is broken in) and I change the oil every 3,000 miles. I don't care if they say you can go longer, there's huge consequences for going too long between oil changes and no consequences at all for changing too often (except a little extra money). I've used castrol and mobil one and never had any performance issues and I beat on my cars, never had anything tested though.

I've torn down some of the motors in my old cars to do upgrades and the motors are super clean inside. between full synthetic and 93+ octane for the life of the motor when you take one apart the difference compared to cheap gas and cheap oil is obvious.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:53 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
I always use full synthetic (after the motor is broken in) and I change the oil every 3,000 miles. I don't care if they say you can go longer, there's huge consequences for going too long between oil changes and no consequences at all for changing too often (except a little extra money).
So are you saying that anything over 3000 miles is to long?
Old 10-25-2009, 12:37 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

If the TBN numbers were good, the oil still had some life in it. You didn't really need to change it.

The heavy metals are there because of engine wear. By all accounts, Amsoil is as good as almost any other oil on the market. I wouldn't think that additional wear was caused by the Amsoil.

M1, OTOH, is not such a great oil. It tests out in the middle of the pack. I would blame the wear particles on the years of M1.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:56 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:03 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jbauer
the high levels of iron and the other wear metals are because you ran mobil 1.
I dont use amsoil..i would never spend that much money on oil and i think its foolish for anyone to do so; but even though i dont use amsoil and never ever will..im 99 percent sure if you do another intrevel with AMSoil...you will have results that are 5 times better.

Mobil 1 constantly has issues with showing wear metals on oil analysis when brands are switched. even alone, it has high levels of wear metals on analysis. It's a crap oil imo and i have no idea why its become so popular. It's the last oil i'd use on any car.

BTW: i'm surprsied blackstone didnt tell you this..they should know quite well that cars that ran Mobil 1 before show high levels of iron and wear metals when it is switched to another brand.
That sounds like the biggest bunch of BS i've ever heard. Stop spreading FUD. Here's my oil analysis using mobil 1 5w30.

I don't drink the mobil 1 kool-aid and definitely not the Amsoil kool-aid. I changed to penzoil platinum and I guess when I do an oil analysis, my wear metals will be really high because I previously ran mobil 1. That makes no F'ning sense at all.

OP, post the oil analysis.

Quick Reply: Oil analysis report - Not so great