Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

how to use automatic jump off line?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:43 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

Default how to use automatic jump off line?

so any one got any idea how to use automatic gt jump off the line? no N drop.. what i did was left brake, right gas about 3000. when the light turn green, foot off brake. and my question is i got paxton novi 2200 HO, is it ok to push the gas all the way down after i did that?.or i should let the car go 10-20mph then all the way down the throttle,but i think that will increase the accelerate time .the car has 440rwhp,420ft-lb torque...plz help
Old 11-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I don't know how your getting to 3000 with the stock convertor without breaking the tires loose or breaking the tranny.

You best bet is to get a different convertor built for your car and foot brake like your doing.

The next thing for drag racing would be a different set of gears.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:38 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

If your stock converter is going up to 3K before breaking loose, something is very wrong. If you do have a new converter that has a 3K stall then that's ok.

I think the time you put the pedal down is which ever gives you better traction for the tires you have. Try both a few times and see what happens.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:16 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
If your stock converter is going up to 3K before breaking loose, something is very wrong. If you do have a new converter that has a 3K stall then that's ok.

I think the time you put the pedal down is which ever gives you better traction for the tires you have. Try both a few times and see what happens.
ye, u ar right,the tire begin to spin after 3000, lol, maybe i was drunk at that time when i was playing lol.anyway.when change convertor to 3k, or 3.5k effect the gas mileage?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:57 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Try holding the brake HARD, and hold the revs to the point of nearly breaking traction (2k?). When you want to go, step on the gas as if you want to do a small burn out. It should spin the tires some, right as that happens- floor it. You have alot of power but the 3.31s and stock converter are pretty conservative. I notice that if I don't hold the brake hard enough, it'll just peel out. If I held the revs too lightly, as well as the brakes- when I floor it- it would bogg, the peel out. If I rolled out a little, then floored it at idle.. it would peel out. It might also help to do a hard burn out, then do a mini burn out as you launch. I noticed that it warms the converter up and makes its a little looser to rev higher during the launch, plus the tires react a little more like slicks after a good burn out (yeah, bad with for street tires but I always do it at the track)

I know I don't have nearly as much power as you do, but I ran a 13.3@103 about 15 times in a row on my best day of the summer. It may not have enough power to run 12s flat, but I sure was consistent lol. So much so that I won't go back until I get more mods.. it's no fun knowing what you'll run, EVERYTIME lol.

Last edited by stealth_GT; 11-30-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:39 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Try holding the brake HARD, and hold the revs to the point of nearly breaking traction (2k?). When you want to go, step on the gas as if you want to do a small burn out. It should spin the tires some, right as that happens- floor it. You have alot of power but the 3.31s and stock converter are pretty conservative. I notice that if I don't hold the brake hard enough, it'll just peel out. If I held the revs too lightly, as well as the brakes- when I floor it- it would bogg, the peel out. If I rolled out a little, then floored it at idle.. it would peel out. It might also help to do a hard burn out, then do a mini burn out as you launch. I noticed that it warms the converter up and makes its a little looser to rev higher during the launch, plus the tires react a little more like slicks after a good burn out (yeah, bad with for street tires but I always do it at the track)

I know I don't have nearly as much power as you do, but I ran a 13.3@103 about 15 times in a row on my best day of the summer. It may not have enough power to run 12s flat, but I sure was consistent lol. So much so that I won't go back until I get more mods.. it's no fun knowing what you'll run, EVERYTIME lol.
ye, thats a good number u got on your mustang, i have been wating to the track after this winter for a long time, cant wait lol..
Old 12-04-2009, 03:58 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Yep, you should get no more than about 2300rpm before your tires spin.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:59 PM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

BEFORE NEW CONVERTER: Hold the brake down HARD and your stock converter will allow you to go up to ~2300RPM before the tires begin to spin, and there is no way you can make it up to 3000RPM in a stock converter s197. From there, I like to hold the e-brake all the way up and let it slip like a clutch as I give it more and more gas until it finally hooked.

AFTER NEW CONVERTER: I installed a TCI 3000 Stall Torque Converter and realized one thing about the s197 auto transmission... don't build the pressure all the way up to 3000RPM, I just flash my converter at ~1500RPM while brake boosting and then let it rip. I also bought drag radials to ease the launching process. As for the 3000 launch vs. the 1500 launch, I went from a 1.94 60ft at 3000 rpm all the way down to a 1.82 at 1500 rpm, flashing the converter will allow you accelerate faster through your gears.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:42 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

^^ same technique as mine, minus the E-brake. I flash the converter to about 1500 as well, but I go by feel more then what number to rev to..
Old 12-06-2009, 09:43 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

+2. With a 3000 converter, I did best with about 1500-1800 rpm.
With stock converter, 1200-1500.
Hold brake hard to keep car in place.
Either way, nailed it at the light. Worked out traction issues with tires and suspension adjustments.

Quick Reply: how to use automatic jump off line?