Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Long Tubes and CAMS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:04 AM
KcMstang
2nd Gear Member

Default Long Tubes and CAMS!

Finally got the money saved up to do a little ordering for my stang. Spent quite a few on appearance items and now starting to focus on the performance. Aside for already having a JLT intake and tune from Bamachips and Magnaflow axleback I'm stock performance-wise. I've chatted with Brenspeed on the new PYPES Long Tube Headers. They have installed them on a shop car and say they match perfectly and are identical to the KOOKS headers. So, I'm going on their word and going to order them along with the matching pypes o/r h pipe. Then I'm going to work my way over to American Muscle and order the FRPP hotrod cams. I went ahead beforehand and made sure Doug @ Bamachips had an email tune to send with these additional mods, so I should have everything covered. Probably going to start ordering tonight or tomorrow! Wish me luck!

I see in the FORD Installation Instructions I need new 2 sprocket bolts will these work (http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/256-1001/10002/-1) also is there anyway of getting around buying the FORD Speciality Tools (wedge/spring compressor)?

Last edited by KcMstang; 08-11-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:18 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

goog luck on everything. hope it all goes well.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

good luck and i can't wait to hear it when
it's finished
Old 08-11-2009, 09:19 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

are they stainless steel headers?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 PM
KcMstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zkiller
are they stainless steel headers?
Yes, they are stainless steel http://www.brenspeed.com/pypespackagea.html

Do the spark plugs have to be removed in order to install the cams? I was hoping to get FORD to do the spark plugs change since the TSB about breaking plugs off in the heads.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:04 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

im thinking about getting the pypes x instead of the kooks x since its 300 cheaper. there is no way around buying those ford brand tools i dont think. good luck and we want vids like tomorrow
Old 08-11-2009, 01:21 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

good luck. vids are always good!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:24 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KcMstang
Finally got the money saved up to do a little ordering for my stang. Spent quite a few on appearance items and now starting to focus on the performance. Aside for already having a JLT intake and tune from Bamachips and Magnaflow axleback I'm stock performance-wise. I've chatted with Brenspeed on the new PYPES Long Tube Headers. They have installed them on a shop car and say they match perfectly and are identical to the KOOKS headers. So, I'm going on their word and going to order them along with the matching pypes o/r h pipe. Then I'm going to work my way over to American Muscle and order the FRPP hotrod cams. I went ahead beforehand and made sure Doug @ Bamachips had an email tune to send with these additional mods, so I should have everything covered. Probably going to start ordering tonight or tomorrow! Wish me luck!

I see in the FORD Installation Instructions I need new 2 sprocket bolts will these work (http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/256-1001/10002/-1) also is there anyway of getting around buying the FORD Speciality Tools (wedge/spring compressor)?
My cousin is a mechanic and actually opted to let somebody install his cams because the tools from Ford are like $300 and the labor for the shop to do it was $400 or so. Unless you really want to do it yourself, I would just take it some place.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:37 PM
KcMstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thedrod
My cousin is a mechanic and actually opted to let somebody install his cams because the tools from Ford are like $300 and the labor for the shop to do it was $400 or so. Unless you really want to do it yourself, I would just take it some place.
That has run across my mind, but I don't trust many shops around where I live. I also take pleasure it doing some of the stuff myself even though I might not save that much $$$. Being at a carshow or something and someone walks up and ask about the car I like saying, I did the work and not Billy Bob's Speed Shop...
Old 08-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Plus you can always sell the tools afterwards (just hope you don't need them again lol) I got nearly $200 for mine. BTW, yes the spark plugs do need to come out...mine had nearly 60k on them and didn't break. Congrats on the purchases, you're going to love them!

Quick Reply: Long Tubes and CAMS!