Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Problem Loading Custom Tune with My SCT X3 Tuner - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:03 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Default Problem Loading Custom Tune with My SCT X3 Tuner - Please Help

Alright, I finally got my tune from Tillmanspeed and now I can't load the damn thing on to my tuner.

If anyone out there has run into this problem I'd love to hear how you fixed it.

From what I've read I have to update the firmware on my tuner, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I've followed all of the instructions on the SCT website, watched the videos and it still gives me the error "Failed to write bulk data"

If I go straight to the "Load Custom Tune" box and click it, it then gives me the error "Failed to read data" a bunch of times, then it says "Not a Valid SCT Device".

This is really making me mad. I've searched forums and this has happened to SEVERAL people, same problem, and it seems to all come down to updating the firmware.

Any ideas?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Is this the same problem you're experiencing?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:20 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

No, mine's different. Mine came pre-loaded with three custom tunes from demolet.com. I've loaded all of them at different times, returned vehicle to stock, etc. with no issues. Even now if I plug it into my diagnostics port my car reads it just fine and I can load any of these tunes into the car no problem.

My problem is getting the new tune (via email) onto my tuner from my computer. When I plug the tuner into my computer, basically I just can't access the tuner from the computer in order to get my new tune loaded onto the tuner.

Last edited by discodave; 12-17-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:41 PM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

did the dood that sent you the tune have the serial number of your tuner?
that has to be in the tune.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:15 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GTSTANG
did the dood that sent you the tune have the serial number of your tuner?
that has to be in the tune.
He has that. He wrote all of that into the tune...... What I'm getting at here is that it's not the tune. It's the software for the tuner, the software that you load onto your personal computer (not the car's computer). There are "fixes" on how to do it but it's a major pain and I'm not figuring it out.

I did a search on some of the errors that people are having and there are lots of people having the same issues. It's not that the tuners or the software are faulty, it's just that the software sucks and should be much more user friendly. You should be able to open the program, plug your tuner in and go to work. Instead, in some cases, you have to hold down the "cancel" button on the tuner before you plug it in and while you're plugging it in or it won't be recognized properly by your computer. I mean, come on now, with as much as those tuners cost, they should all be running a much more sophisticated version of software.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:31 PM
bgmikejr2009

Did you try calling SCT For assistance ?

http://www.sctflash.com/contact.php
Old 12-18-2009, 06:08 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bgmikejr2009
Did you try calling SCT For assistance ?

http://www.sctflash.com/contact.php
I'm going to do that today. By the time I figured out that something was wrong they were already closed. From what I hear they're very helpful if you can get a real person on the phone.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:16 AM
JR@SCT

What operating system? USB Driver needs to be updated so that the PC can communicate with the device. First time you plugged in the device, you should've seen a Found New Hardware Wizard, but if that doesnt show up when you plug the thing in it not the end of the world. Open up your Device Manager, find your SCT device in the list. If it has a yellow mark on it, then right-click on it and update the driver.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:34 AM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JR@SCT
What operating system? USB Driver needs to be updated so that the PC can communicate with the device. First time you plugged in the device, you should've seen a Found New Hardware Wizard, but if that doesnt show up when you plug the thing in it not the end of the world. Open up your Device Manager, find your SCT device in the list. If it has a yellow mark on it, then right-click on it and update the driver.

As I recall, I had to do this too.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:01 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JR@SCT
Well, today I did the same things but on a different computer and it worked. Both are running Windows Vista. My laptop has a 64 bit operating system and my desktop has a 32 bit operating system. It ended up working on the 32 bit operating system. I have no idea why either. The laptop acts completely different. Every time I plugged it in with the laptop it would go through the "found new hardware" wizard, but on my desktop it only did that once (the first time I plugged it in).

One thing I can say to all who get one of these tuners (SCT X3) is this... MAKE SURE YOU LOAD THE SOFTWARE BEFORE YOU PLUG THE DEVICE INTO YOUR COMPUTER. I think that's where I may have gone wrong with the attempts on my laptop. I plugged it in not knowing that I needed software loaded first. If you do plug it in before you have the software loaded, then you will have to manually load your drivers. In my case, I couldn't manually load the drivers on my laptop because in the device manager it never showed up. Who knows..... So, in short, if you get one of these tuners, make sure you go to the SCT website (www.sctflash.com) and download the software.

So, it all worked out in the end. Thanks for all of the help!

Quick Reply: Problem Loading Custom Tune with My SCT X3 Tuner - Please Help