Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

S197 Automatic Shifter Change / Mod / Dissection

Old 05-28-2010, 02:18 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Arrow S197 Automatic Shifter Change / Mod / Dissection

Lately, I have been doing some research on something that's been bothering me for a while- the stock shifter. It's bulky, ugly and I don't like the T-handle. I have been wanting to swap out to a regular shifter ball, but haven't been able to tear into a stock 5 speed AT shifter. Before anyone asks, I have no intention of trying to pass my car off as a MT car. It's an auto for a reason, and I intended on keeping it that way.

With that said, I have come across a few designs that actually get into the the stock shifter and change the handle altogether, but I can't find any detailed install instructions or pictures.

So, let's start this thread off right- has anyone talking one apart? Has anyone modified one? Does anyone have pics of one taken apart?
Old 05-28-2010, 08:55 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Will this work?

Old 05-31-2010, 06:33 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

No, but I appreciate the effort. I'm looking for an exploded view of the shifter mechanism, or photos of one taken apart.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:43 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I'm not big on the auto shifter either, it's too easy to skip a gear by putting a little too much pressure on it and it's hard to tell if you hit the gear or not.

Lets just say that I'm glad auto's don't stall.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:59 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I came across that Mach II shifter by Complete Pony Services. It swaps out the t-handle for a regular ball that you push down on. But, for $200, I just can't see the value in a small thread rod, a stiffer spring, plastic shift **** and an overdrive button.

The other option is the TCI Shifter, which is a true ratchet style piece. You won't miss a gear with that thing. Now, it costs somewhere around $350, but it's a completely new shifter.

Call me old fashioned but I was trying to think of a way to add or change the gate on the stock shifter.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 AM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

LOL at the torque specs in the above diagram. 80 foot pounds! Must be some tough fasteners.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:22 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

That's really strange, lol, is that out of a Ford manual? I can't imagine something like an overage of 70+ lb-ft going unnoticed. Hello snapped studs!
Old 06-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

It is a typo. 9 Nm is 80 lb-in (inches, not feet). Converted to lb-ft it's roughly 6.6.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Yep, it's a typo. Although, I do recall someone doing it and breaking the fasteners. It's in the instructions for how much torque.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:11 PM
richsue

Hey,
I know this is an old thread, but I've been looking for a replacement for my 06 GT clunky automatic shifter. I came across this thread, but can't find this company anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find a shifter like the "Complete Pony Services' Mach II Automatic Shifter"? I've looked at the TCI, but just as bulky and a little over my price range.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S197 Automatic Shifter Change / Mod / Dissection