Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Anyone running a beefed up tranny? Have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:00 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to pull mine and send it to Promotion. I just hope their turnaround time of 2-3 weeks is accurate. With shipping time I'm looking at 4-5 weeks total. It will give me enough time to send my clutch disks in to McLeod. I'm thinking I've pulled this tranny enough times that I can do it in about 3 hours or less in the garage off of stands.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:07 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Just talked to McLeod. They will do a full rebuild on my RST for $450. That's only $300 more than just having the hubs switched.

I have my plan. Just have to execute it. And wait...
Old 06-21-2010, 08:21 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i hope it's a smooth tranny removal for you bruceh, i know you probably aren't looking
forward to the job and that's understandable. maybe you'll learn a new trick or two
during this one, something we've all been overlooking (wishful thinking!).
Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flounderlipps
I have a Promotion 3650 and it awesome like a whole different tranny shifts like butter. You will need a new 26 spline clutch disc tho.
If your car is a street car stay away from a Locker get a TRU-TRAC and you already have 31 spline axels.
I already have the locker. Noisey but functional.

Axles are still stock and don't show any signs of giving up. From what I have read and researched, they are pretty strong.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Just talked to McLeod. They will do a full rebuild on my RST for $450. That's only $300 more than just having the hubs switched.

I have my plan. Just have to execute it. And wait...
That's not so bad.

Take some pics when you decide to pull the tranny.

A how to would be nice.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:48 AM
race77

Sweet, best of luck to you. I'd suggest staying with the stock slave, with the lower pedal pressure with the rst you should be good to go. I'd reccomend the line upgrade kit form JPC racing while your at it, get's rid of the flimsy plastic piece of crap. $70
Old 06-27-2010, 10:25 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Though I'd post an update while I'm waiting for things to happen.

Promotion never did get back to me. Talked to Liberty again and changed my mind on the whole thing. Going with a 6060. I have one lined up just waiting to finalize the transaction.

Started the process of removing the tranny today. Removed the battery, cats, driveline and safety loop. Took pics along the way and will do a short thread on removing the tranny (per Simon's request). Picking up my buddies transmission jack tomorrow. I think I may be able to use my dynotech driveshaft on the 6060. Worst case I'll have to put a cobra pinion flange on. This would get rid of the adapter and take up some of the 1.52" difference in transmission lengths I've calculated from tremec drawings and spec sheets. Won't know for sure until I have both transmissions side by side.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:29 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

you need a new DS or yours needs to me cut down.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:23 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Though I'd post an update while I'm waiting for things to happen.

Promotion never did get back to me. Talked to Liberty again and changed my mind on the whole thing. Going with a 6060. I have one lined up just waiting to finalize the transaction.

Started the process of removing the tranny today. Removed the battery, cats, driveline and safety loop. Took pics along the way and will do a short thread on removing the tranny (per Simon's request). Picking up my buddies transmission jack tomorrow. I think I may be able to use my dynotech driveshaft on the 6060. Worst case I'll have to put a cobra pinion flange on. This would get rid of the adapter and take up some of the 1.52" difference in transmission lengths I've calculated from tremec drawings and spec sheets. Won't know for sure until I have both transmissions side by side.
You will want steeper gears too. Very long 1st gear in the 6060.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Promotion never did get back to me.
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago when they first started selling the 26 spline input for the S197 GT. I called them to see about ordering one and was told they were built to order. I asked for a time frame from the time I would order until delivery and was told I'd get a call back. I still have my stock input shaft.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a beefed up tranny? Have questions.