Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2007 mustang gt camshaft phaser problems!!!! PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:08 PM
chrisgtpony

Angry 2007 mustang gt camshaft phaser problems!!!! PLEASE HELP

So for the past 14 weeks i have had nothing but problems with my mustang. I have had a shortblock, a new PCM, New cam phasers solenoids and valve bodies, new oil pump, and even swapped from a diablo tune to an sct tune per fords request. I have spent over $3,000 of my own money on some parts and labor and am ready to pull my hair out. I have taken care of all the problems that my car had but the P0022 code which is Camshaft position over retarded bank 2 still remains. When this occurs though i get a misfire on cylinder 5 and a wicked valve knock. So my question is how or what do i need to do to correct this over retardation. Ford is out of ideas and will no longer look at it.

I have thought about the Phaser limiters but i dont think i should have to go that route. about the only option that i have left is trade the car in but i dont want to totally start over on another one. I have put to much time and money into this to just walk away from it. Any and all help or advice or ideas will be greatly appreciated
Old 07-09-2010, 09:52 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

if it were me in your situation, i would install phaser lockouts and modify the tune to disable VCT completely. i would do this for troubleshooting purposes in order to eliminate possible causes. are there other ways to go about fixing the problem? sure. i'm just sharing how i would do it, based on what i can do at home relatively cheaply and easily.

if this were a simple issue with cam timing, a CMP, or even the harness, i think you and/or ford would have already considered it and dealt with that possibility.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:00 PM
chrisgtpony

I just finished up the order for the lockouts. im going to try those and take the car back to have the tune modified. My biggest problem now i guess is how to go about getting all my money back from ford for their mis-diagnosis. I can think of alot of things to do to my car with that $3000
Old 07-09-2010, 10:57 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

we'll get this sorted out, there are only so many possibilities for the trouble you are having.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:29 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

During installation of the lockouts, the position of the two cam sprockets should be checked in relation to each other; one side could be off by one notch.

Also, you'll need new sprocket bolts when installing the lockouts (1 per side).
Old 07-10-2010, 06:43 AM
Rob72
1st Gear Member

Addressing just the valve knock has Ford checked out the timing chain tensioner and plunger. That was caused that problem for my bud.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:41 AM
chrisgtpony

Ford wont even listen to the car. They actually had physically had the car in their shop for 10 weeks trying to figure this out. The valve knock i have asked them to check out but they are saying its just normal valve noise. Im not sure what normal valve noise is but im pretty sure it shouldnt sound like a machine gun. And the phaser sprockets i kno are positioned correctly with eachother and the chains because when i replaced the oil pump the other day i had to put all that back togetjer and was ridiculoisly careful when doing the reinstall of everything. Im going to install the pahser limiters and hadlve my tune re-done. Hopefully that will fix this stupid problem. If not im not sure what to do. I might trade it in but the sad thing is that it wouldnt be another ford. Im getting pretty fed up with their customer service.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:39 PM
chrisgtpony

So I brought the car back to the shop where i just had it dyno tuned. they ran some tests and did a bunch of data logging to check fuel trims and spark and all that stuff. They told me that the car has an electro mechanical problem. Explained to me like this "Somethhing electrical that is cam phaser related is not letting the cam come back from the retarded side of the timing. Be it a sensor or something like that we just dont know but we do know that it has nothing to do with the tune or any aftermarket parts." It was suggested that the car goes back to Ford. I took the car back to Ford and they are saying that the combination of aftermarket parts that i have does not work. Here is my aftermarket parts list.
1. Airaid cold air intake.
2. BBK shorty Headers with catless X-pipe.
3. BBK throttle body
4. Steeda Underdrive Pulleys and Motion delete plates.
5. Oh and i cant forget the powdercoated valve covers. Those are a DEFINATE problem according to Ford. HAHA
As the car sits right now they are doing diagnostic tests and are supposed to have an answer by friday.
I kno the parts that i have will not cause the problem i am having but i just wanted to let everyone know what im dealing with and give me some advice on what needs to be done.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:59 AM
sd07gt
2nd Gear Member

I know this is old ...but its called your oil control housing that ford never replaces ! They always replace the cam phaser and the oil valve solenod . The oil control housing has an oil filter or oil screens in it that get gummed up and wont let the correct oil presure pass .

Most Ford dealers are just finding this out now and thats really all you need to replace or clean it out . unless you actually get hard codes that say you have the oil valve soleniod out or a damaged cam phaser .
Old 05-17-2011, 09:25 AM
KingCobra78

Good Day
(2006 Mustang GT - Code P0340 - camshaft position sensor A - Bank 1 circuit)
I replaced the cam sensor and code returned. I see the note above about cleaning/replacing the filter in the oil control housing. Has anyone had any luck with this and can you tell me where this filter is? Would you suggest "cleaning" the engine with SeaFoam etc? Thanks In Advance... 1SG(R) M

Quick Reply: 2007 mustang gt camshaft phaser problems!!!! PLEASE HELP