Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

FRPP Top end package

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I was thinking that it'll make somewhere along the lines of 350-360whp, he also has a manual and less parasitic loss than my auto. I still got him by 20whp, but once the heat pulls timing, god knows how much I am really putting to the wheels??
Yeah but again... how fast is he on changing gears in that manual of his? (I hate saying that when I own a manual)

He has things that will come into play just as you do.
I still say you have him.

As far as a guess on his HP.. jeez. I'd say you are not too far off. Give or take 5-10 on either side.

I was looking at that setup of his as well.
I have some of the components and eventually will probably have more of them... perhaps more than that setup has... who knows.

It is a good setup and nothing to laugh at.
But I still say you have him.

Also.. are you saying your Vortech without the intercooler is making 380 to the wheels? I thought they made more even without an intercooler?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-20-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:41 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Yeah but again... how fast is he on changing gears in that manual of his? (I hate saying that when I own a manual)

He has things that will come into play just as you do.
I still say you have him.

As far as a guess on his HP.. jeez. I'd say you are not too far off. Give or take 5-10 on either side.

I was looking at that setup of his as well.
I have some of the components and eventually will probably have more of them... perhaps more than that setup has... who knows.

It is a good setup and nothing to laugh at.
But I still say you have him.

Also.. are you saying your Vortech without the intercooler is making 380 to the wheels? I thought they made more even without an intercooler?
That's true about the shifting on his part.

I am pretty much limited to 90 octane gas up here in AK, so it's pointless and unsafe to squeeze out any more hp then what I have it at right now.. even with the H.O. kit, I will be limited to 90 octane still, but I will tune for at least 450 to the wheels if not more.

It's a great looking kit imo
Old 07-20-2010, 06:07 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I wanna know someone who has this kit!!! its kinda fishy how ford racing doesnt show dyno graphs.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Steves07GTCS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
I wanna know someone who has this kit!!! its kinda fishy how ford racing doesnt show dyno graphs.
See the latest issue of MM&FF or 5.0 Mustang (can't remember which one), they test this setup. The release of the FRPP manifold is kind of a big deal I guess... anyway, with the setup in question the 4.6 made over 400 engine HP a couple times, depending on the heads being used. I hope to see more talk on this one soon.

In the pictures in the article the engine was definitely wearing long tube headers, something the magazine left out. I wonder which ones...
Old 07-25-2010, 07:17 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

When I was on the fringe of getting an SC I thought about doing something like this. I was gonna do the long tubes, Cams, and manifold gig but the mechanic/gear head I know told me it was just simply not cost or power effective vs. a supercharger. He also told me at best I would be running 340whp but more likely in the 325-330 range.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:26 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I think something like this would be amazing for either a high compression built motor meant for an NA set up or a low compression built motor designed for major boost. I heard the stock heads were good to up to 800hp and they flow very well. Unless you have deep pockets, I personally wouldn't do this on a stock motor unless you really wanted the increase in power. For the amount of money, you could build the bottom end with the stock heads and make great power with insurance

I make 380whp with "just" the Vortech V3 non-intercooled.. I have the JBA shorty headers and delete plates but they don't do that much other than throttle response, honestly (money wasted lulz, jk)
Old 07-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Formula
2nd Gear Member

There is no way that he would beat you.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:50 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
No way that kit even with the LT's and intake will make 425 HP on a 4.6L, not even crank. That's simply ridiculous to think you can gain over 150 HP with that kit, CAI & tune and LT's bolted to 4.6L. Throw that kit on a 4.6L that already has a good CAI, update the tune for the kit and I doubt you'd be pushing more than 320-325 RWHP. Add about 10 more with LT's.

Tell your buddy to go for it and listen to him cry when you whip his azz with your Vortech.
I am new to the whole Mustang thing..but I think your way low..Heads, cams, manifold, and if it is tuned...I would throw the car away if it only made 320rwhp after all that stuff..I mean if my car is making 280rwhp when it was bone stock and the 10 isnt making that much more then 05-09 then only gaining 40hp with that much work..I would think the heads alone would get you about that..then the new mainfold, cams..I would expect in the range of 370whp with that much stuff.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:59 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
I am new to the whole Mustang thing..but I think your way low..Heads, cams, manifold, and if it is tuned...I would throw the car away if it only made 320rwhp after all that stuff..I mean if my car is making 280rwhp when it was bone stock and the 10 isnt making that much more then 05-09 then only gaining 40hp with that much work..I would think the heads alone would get you about that..then the new mainfold, cams..I would expect in the range of 370whp with that much stuff.
I'm wondering why you would expect that much improvement? The biggest restriction to power on a 4.6 is the displacement. A 9.8:1 cr 3.552" piston with a 3.543" stroke and 6250 rpm redline will only draw so much air/fuel mixture. Ford designed good flowing heads, great cams and exhaust into this motor. The stock TB flows 875 cfm for crying out loud. While there is some room for improvement it's not going to be in big numbers, at least not while being driveable.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As I implied previously and as BruceH states, the 4.6L is limited. If the 425 RWHP was obtainable with the Top End Package, why would people be spending 3 times as much for the same RWHP going FI?

As with anything else, a manufacturer will inflate the numbers in order to boost sales more than his product boosts power.

Quick Reply: FRPP Top end package