Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:08 PM
EscapedGreg
1st Gear Member

It is made by Precision Shaft Technologies which was one of the first companys out there building carbon fibers shafts. I run one in my Stock Suspension Mustang and it is awesome. They do some really nice work but yes they are pricey.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:13 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 908ssp
That uses a CV joint and not that horrid slip yoke most everyone else uses. Finally someone knows what they are doing.
Originally Posted by 908ssp
The problem is that because the engine is tilted trans down the alignment of the two Hook joints are never aligned correctly plus the sliding joint in the shaft allows the shaft to run crooked. And with slop this cause harmonics and vibration. The CV joint in the shaft linked above eliminates those problems plus it is lighter than other one piece shafts.
We use a slip yoke design in our shafts. Out of the well over 1,000 shafts we have in the field we've only had vibration issues with only 7 to 8 shafts. Not very horrid at all.

Mustang that are upgraded with control arms are notorious for developing driveline clunks from the stock driveshaft. These clunks are from the cup joint at the pinion flange. The same cup joint that is being used on the carbon fiber shaft in this thread. If you were to take the stock driveshaft and disconnect it from the car, then put your hand on the rear joint and try to rotate it by hand, you would be able to feel the slop that is there with your hand alone. That is the cause of the noise.

This is why we change the pinion flange and use a U-joint rear coupling. Our aluminum 1 piece shaft will typically get rid of 90 to 95% of those noises. It makes your car feel better than new with all the clunks gone. Any remaining noise will depend on how tight the rear end was set up from the factory.

Last edited by SteedaGus; 08-12-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:42 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Mustang that are upgraded with control arms are notorious for developing driveline clunks from the stock driveshaft. .....
Odd that people with clunks put the stock drive shaft back in and get rid of clunks and vibrations.

Double hook joint drive shafts work fine if the angles are minimal and the same something you can't achieve on the Mustang. CV joints have replaced Hook joints in most high performance applications. Why should the mustang not have the same benefit? Adding a splined slip joint sleeve when one is not needed at all with a CV joint is another reason why the CV joint is a superior solution. Unfortunately manufactures want to sell product and not always with the benefit of the customer foremost in mind. A double CV joint would be lighter stronger and not have the problems common to aftermarket drive shafts being sold. I have no product to sell I just don't want to buy something I know to be less than it could be for the same money.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:14 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

A less than 1% trouble rate with the design I mentioned is hardly "selling product and not benefit the customer first and foremost". And I am certainly not the only one with this type of design. All these different companies are certainly not out to get the customer.

Here is a post with someone confirming his drivetrain clunks disappearing after putting in an aluminum shaft, and its not even our driveshaft, its from someone else. http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...480033/index2/

This is not an isolated incident, this is fact, it is what happens every single time you are looking to get rid of drivetrain noise in your 05+ that popped up AFTER you put rear control arms with stiffer bushings on the car, I personally have a 100% success rate with customers who I have put into an aluminum driveshaft based on this criteria. The clunks go away every single time.

If its not based on the criteria above, then results may be different or there may be other issues. The rear cup joint design IS a problem and people should be aware of that. Especially when being enticed to spend that kind of money on a shaft that still uses that design. However it is a problem that doesnt show up until you remove all the stock O.E. arms with soft bushings that are designed to soak up drivetrain loads and noises. It is not an issue with completely stock rear suspension.

I have yet to speak to 1 single customer since the 05+ came out that put the stock driveshaft back on to get rid of their clunks. I'm sure there are a few out there. But its certainly not widespread and definitely not the right thing to do to resolve a drivetrain noise issue if it happened after switching to control arms with stiffer bushings.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:39 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

I have to agree with Gus here...

Don't forget that lots people are mistaking the clunking due to improperly torqued rear LCA's. They hear a clunking and think it's the driveshaft when in reality they didn't torque the LCA's with any load on them.

I was guilty of this myself a long time ago. :-)
Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

I don't understand why you don't drop this. Seems to me this would have been forgotten if you hadn't brought it back up.

Do the research.

The Universal Joint
# The concept of the u-joint has been around for hundreds of years, although the first American patent didn't appear until 1884. A u-joint is commonly thought of as the coupling on automotive drive shafts where slight angles are present. Even though auto makers have used u-joints since Henry Ford's days, it has not been without problems. The goal of a drive shaft coupling is to spin each drive line at exactly the same speed, but as soon as angle is introduced, the rate of rotation changes slightly. Too much angle will result in violent shaking and vibration, and eventual self-destruction.

Constant Velocity Joint
# When front-wheel-drive cars were introduced, it was quickly discovered that the increased turning angles made u-joints impractical; they simply could not handle the variation of the transmitted speed. It was because of front-wheel drives that CV joints were invented. Because CV joints consist of a ball joint pressed into a socket, they are able to withstand much greater torque angles. But CV joints are not without their problems. Regular inspection of the rubber seal boot is important, as they will quickly fail if damaged, and loss of grease results.

Why lowered cars have more problems.

"The universal joint is not a constant velocity joint: If there is a non-zero angle of deflection between the input and output shafts and if the input shaft is driven at a constant rate then the output shaft will accelerate and decelerate twice per revolution. This effect can be negligible for small angles of deflection but it increases with the angle of deflection and can cause vibration. "

Read more: Universal Vs. CV Joints | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5793240_un...#ixzz0wRzq6JFq

You make some fine products. I have your wheels, shifter and rear brake rotors. Just get your engineer to get to work on a double CV drive shaft.

You're welcome to have the last word.

Last edited by 908ssp; 08-12-2010 at 10:00 PM.