Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Gear Install - Now Whines

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 PM
ronniegibson1978
2nd Gear Member

where in va are u at??? i'm in northeast tn..and there is a very good guy here
Old 08-07-2010, 08:41 PM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

my motive 3.90 are quiet as can be,been to the track and never did a break in period, just floored it right away to see how they were, still no problems or noise.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 AM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ronniegibson1978
im in northern va
Old 08-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang51js
my motive 3.90 are quiet as can be,been to the track and never did a break in period, just floored it right away to see how they were, still no problems or noise.
Rear end gears don't need a break in period. After you get them up to highway speeds just once after leaving the install shop, the pattern is set.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:48 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
You're the victim of a bad install. If he had set the backlash correctly the first time, you would have no whine. Unfortunately, after you drove with them in for a while at the improper backlash setting, they established a wear pattern that caused the noise to continue even when adjusted to the proper backlash (if the mechanic even reinstalled them, which I am suspicious of). There is no "noisy" gear ratio. All gears should operate silently and any mechanic who tells you otherwise does not deserve your business.
I want to believe that so bad. I'm going in for a gear and differential swap and really want 4.30's, unfortunately almost all the feedback on them is to expect noise. I'll ask my gear guy about his experience with them. I've been the victim of a bad install before and this guy knew what the other shop did wrong and was able to install dead silent gears for me.

To the op: spend the money on a good install and be done with it. It's not worth your time or piece of mind to put up with noisy gears.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
I want to believe that so bad. I'm going in for a gear and differential swap and really want 4.30's, unfortunately almost all the feedback on them is to expect noise. I'll ask my gear guy about his experience with them. I've been the victim of a bad install before and this guy knew what the other shop did wrong and was able to install dead silent gears for me.

To the op: spend the money on a good install and be done with it. It's not worth your time or piece of mind to put up with noisy gears.
I'm glad you are looking at the 4.30s.

I did the same thing as Bruce and was very happy about it. If you have the time or connections, talk to people who race at your local drag strip and ask them who they have used. It's what I did and it worked out really well for me.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:05 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Believe it or not, the whine I initially had with my 3.73's is now nearly gone. At first there was nothing, then shortly thereafter I noticed it.....now? You have to really concentrate to hear it.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
I want to believe that so bad.
I promise you, that's the way it is. I worked in two automotive performance shops before hurricane Katrina. The reason I quit the first one was because the owner (who also did the gear installs) had a bad habit of giving customers the runaround every time he did a crappy install (not just on gears, but on anything). If a mechanic won't warranty his labor for a gear install against gear whine, find a new mechanic.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Jay Bird

Originally Posted by ronniegibson1978
I'm in NE TN as well and looking someone to install gears. Who do you recommend?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:55 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
Believe it or not, the whine I initially had with my 3.73's is now nearly gone. At first there was nothing, then shortly thereafter I noticed it.....now? You have to really concentrate to hear it.
I remember the trouble you went through with the dealership. Is this your second set of 3.73's or did they just reinstall the first set?

Quick Reply: Gear Install - Now Whines