Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Which supercharger is easiest to install

Old 10-25-2010, 09:57 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

seems like a trend around here rofl

great choice.. I was going to go that route as well. I have something very similar though, so it's all good!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:14 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Why are you keeping the underdrive pullies? You know that the underdrive pulley will lower your boost and HP numbers, right?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
I've just finished placing the order with Brenspeed. Paxton SL /intercooled it is. I added a tan pillar gauge pod, and a boost and A/F gauges while at it. Didn't notice Brenspeed had them until now. Saved me the trouble I thought I was going to have finding the site I saw the tan gauge pillar before.

Now it is out of my hands. It's only a matter of time.

So guys... I think I finally made my decision.
I've pretty much decided on that kit as well I think. You just can't beat it for $4995, and I keep coming back to it over and over again. I won't be buying for a couple months, so I reserve the right to change my mind of course, lol. But really all things considered, including install difficulty, I think thats "the" kit.

The BAP is easy to install, don't sweat that. WAY easier than a fuel pump. The only grinding the Paxton requires is a little tab on the front of the engine, and a bolt head. Its far less than the Roush alternator thing, but still grinding nonetheless. You can download the install manual from their website. For me, the IAT relocate looks the worst as I've not ever tried to "tap" threads before.

The only other one I still have a passing interest in is the Procharger, but I can't seem to find much info or any places really selling those online (certainly not anyone like Brenspeed)... plus it uses a hokey piggy-back fuel pump that I'm not willing to mess with. I also don't trust their canned tune, and there are no shops around here. The pros of that kit are with the dedicated belt system, it doesn't appear you have to grind anything off like on the Paxton. Also apparently they redesigned the intercooler so the 2010+ bumpers don't have to be cut to hell. Thats probably the only kit that could sway me away from the Paxton, but so far its not likely.

Last edited by Mudflap; 10-26-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Why are you keeping the underdrive pullies? You know that the underdrive pulley will lower your boost and HP numbers, right?
I emailed Brenspeed about them and he said that with the UDP's and the pulley that comes with this kit, I should see about 8psi of boost. That should translate to about 410-430rwhp through the A/T. I have longtube headers, so the numbers could be higher.

I think I'm going to run it like that for a bit, to see if i'm satisfied (yeah right), and maybe later down the road, when I can find a new crank bolt, go all out and let the chips fall where they may.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:13 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I've pretty much decided on that kit as well I think. You just can't beat it for $4995, and I keep coming back to it over and over again. I won't be buying for a couple months, so I reserve the right to change my mind of course, lol. But really all things considered, including install difficulty, I think thats "the" kit.

The BAP is easy to install, don't sweat that. WAY easier than a fuel pump. The only grinding the Paxton requires is a little tab on the front of the engine, and a bolt head. Its far less than the Roush alternator thing, but still grinding nonetheless. You can download the install manual from their website. For me, the IAT relocate looks the worst as I've not ever tried to "tap" threads before.

The only other one I still have a passing interest in is the Procharger, but I can't seem to find much info or any places really selling those online (certainly not anyone like Brenspeed)... plus it uses a hokey piggy-back fuel pump that I'm not willing to mess with. I also don't trust their canned tune, and there are no shops around here. The pros of that kit are with the dedicated belt system, it doesn't appear you have to grind anything off like on the Paxton. Also apparently they redesigned the intercooler so the 2010+ bumpers don't have to be cut to hell. Thats probably the only kit that could sway me away from the Paxton, but so far its not likely.
The Prochargers are badass on a s197. They put out serious power. The design looks like a Chinese copy of a Russian tractor but they work.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:08 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ditto, they have their own "gearing" process and dedicated belt tensioner. From what I hear there is no lag like similar centri kits. They make a ton of power and are very impressive in their design..
Old 10-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah the Procharger seems to put down 460+ rwhp with their canned tune. Too much for me, that ones off the list I believe.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:46 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I seen on their page that some have put down 550-560whp..

yikes, talk about borrowed time rofl

they have a very unique set up...
Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Its a very cool setup honestly. If I could find a good vendor, selling good custom tunes, on a Procharger tuner kit running something like a BAP, and sub 450rwhp, I would very likely bite on it. I've tried... I just can't find that anywhere so far. Considering Procharger claims to have the best support network, you could have fooled me.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:34 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Considering Procharger claims to have the best support network, you could have fooled me.
... they're the Kenne Bells off the centri world rofl

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which supercharger is easiest to install