Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

P0171 & P0174 Bank 1 & 2 codes!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:35 PM
batfur

Default P0171 & P0174 Bank 1 & 2 codes!

Hello, 1st post.

I have a 2010 Mustang GT, and I have recently come up with these 2 check engine codes. I think I may know what cause it.

Since May I have had a Steeda Cold Air intake with a Bama 91 performance tune. I have also only used 91 octane since I bought the car.

On monday, my dad took my car and accidentally filled it up with 87 octane fuel. RIght away, I reprogrammed the car (only strategy tuned it since Bama didn't supply me with an 87 octane tune....and since I couldn't revert it to stock since I have the Steeda intake.) I was afraid of siphoning the fuel out because i did not want to get crap stuck inside the tank.

Today, 3 days later, my check engine light comes on....and I still have 1/2 tank of 87 octane to burn.

I suspect that it is due to changing the octane and tune. But I have also come across this.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Ford-Mustang...00000006253093

Also, I have read that it can be a vacuum leak or exhaust leak.

But I doubt those options considering that I have been good for over half a year, except a few days after using 87 octane.

What do you guys think?....should I burn the fuel? Clean the MAF sensor? Siphon the gas out? SHould I go put 112 octane VP racing fuel to boost the octane?

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by batfur

What do you guys think?....should I burn the fuel? Clean the MAF sensor? Siphon the gas out? SHould I go put 112 octane VP racing fuel to boost the octane?

Thanks!

Only if it is unleaded. Filling the tank with 100 unleaded would take of the octane problem also.

Try that. Pull battery cable overnight, reset tune in the morning and see what happens.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:20 AM
batfur

Originally Posted by Simon1
Only if it is unleaded. Filling the tank with 100 unleaded would take of the octane problem also.

Try that. Pull battery cable overnight, reset tune in the morning and see what happens.
I will try. So I put my Bama 91 performance tune back on right?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:31 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Octane is not the issue, its the tune. The strategy tune likely does not have the right parameters for the intake. When you put your 91 octane tune back in the problem will go away cause that was properly set up for the intake.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 PM
batfur

You were correct SteedaGus. I called Bama tuning and they sent me a tune for 87 octane gas (with the right parameters). It was not the car freaking out on the gas.

Sorry guys for not replying. I just saw that I didn't reply
Old 02-22-2016, 02:32 PM
ane1472@sbcglobal.net

Before you do anything, just drive the car for a few days, even a few weeks, under various conditions such as acceleration, high speed, low speed, stop and go, and so on. The engine computer may need time to reset itself and then the CEL will stop bothering you.

Does your tune by any chance requires an insert for you CAI? If it does, make sure it's on, or off, depending on the tune you choose to install. Just checking. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:57 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ane1472@sbcglobal.net
Before you do anything, just drive the car for a few days, even a few weeks, under various conditions such as acceleration, high speed, low speed, stop and go, and so on. The engine computer may need time to reset itself and then the CEL will stop bothering you.

Does your tune by any chance requires an insert for you CAI? If it does, make sure it's on, or off, depending on the tune you choose to install. Just checking. Good luck.
You do realise that you've replied to a 5+ year old thread.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:21 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

"Before you do anything..." lol
Old 08-26-2017, 04:15 PM
Kenny'09

Major issue and tired of chasing my tail going in circles. I am new member on here and posting my first post. I've been here looking for answers before and fixed, but not as a member. Now I've got a problem with my '09 GT and nothing seems to work. She started acting like she was starving for fuel and falling on her face, became a complete pig off the line, and just wants to lay down and die upon stopping. I've got a Bama X4 Tuner and have taken her back to stock tune, with that being said it didn't do squat. I had recently found a thread that a guy had gave all these different things to check and do etc since I also have LiveLink GenII as well. I've received all kinds of codes such as, Cam Positioning Sensor Banks 1 and 2, System too Lean on Banks 1 and 2, Timing Retard Banks 1 and 2, Fuel Temp Sensor A Circuit Hi, Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Hi Banks 1 and 2, and I'm sure I've gotten others that I may have forgotten, who knows they are all running together and are probably BS anyways. I've even tried to find the original post that the guy was saying things to try and wouldn't you know I can't even find that to hopefully talk to him, so I saw this one that I've had the exact same codes before and hoping for the best. The things I've tried is checked and cleaned the following MAF Sensor, IAC Sensor, TB and TBS, as well as checking and cleaning all connections for those. Also running Diagnostics with Live Links checked for Misfires, rail pressures, injector pressure etc. which seem to be ok. I have even put a 1oz of seafoam in tank and in oil. Only different I've seen is she actually starts just a lil better and idles roughly a lil better around 750-1000rpms at least until you hit the gas and she starts to spit sputter gag and cough. 1 more thing to mention not that I just don't see what effects this would have if any and if it does please explain why. I did have a bad battery when everything was normal. Well I have a '01 Stroke not running so I took one of the Interstate Megatron Plus (MT-65) 850CCA, 1000CA, 750RCA and put it in. Why buy a battery when you have one sitting around right? Well at least that was my thought anyway. Other than being more CCA than what is really needed especially here in Texas, what could possibly go wrong or at least be wrong with that. Well, now I wonder. Two days later is when everything started happening. Had to replace alternator already, also thought the alternator was the reason for the original codes as in title and for her starting to fall on her face and you already know the rest. Put the new alternator on expecting it to fix it all, well obviously not. I am at a loss right know and don't know what to do. Other than take it to a mechanic all I'm not wanting to get screwed and loose 5G and not even get touched much less even fix like I did with the Stroke. Do I buy new sensors, this and that and etc and hope it fixes the issue. Do I call Bama explain to them what's going on? Has it actually truly gotten out of time? Is there someplace somehow I can go and adjust the timing. See I'm so confused about everything I can't even write my questions right. Hopefully everyone understands my issues and lead me in the right direction. Thanks
Old 08-27-2017, 05:13 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

@Kenny'09
These cars are known for having alternator issues... long story short, a bad alternator causes all kinds of sensors to false trip, problem is when things false trip the computer trys to compensate for the bad data. I see you've already replaced it, but the fact that for 2 days after repllacing hte battery things were good tends to have me cycle back around to the alternator... and it may have caused issues with the battery already.
Texas is a big state, but somewhere there is a Brenspeed shop, you might be able to get them to troubleshoot it for you. (at a cost of course).

Quick Reply: P0171 & P0174 Bank 1 & 2 codes!