Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Issue with the 2005-2007 Mustang 3V Spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:37 PM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

What spark plug should I get to replace the stock plugs in my 07 GT Mustang?
Old 03-07-2011, 06:36 AM
maxdmax

I just went throuh this on our 2005 Mustang GT with 50,000 miles on the origional plugs. I had to use the puller tool on 7 of the plugs. It really is not that hard if you have above average mechanical skills, if you don't then don't even attempt it. My post below has some information on this.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...pos-plugs.html
Old 03-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSUSkier
Two of them were a major bitch and felt really tight. When I got to that point on those plugs, I backed them down about a 1/4 turn and let them sit for about another half hour. After that they were still a little tight but much easier and came out with a whole bunch of creaking.
That sounds an awful lot like the way you use a tap - periodically backing off on it enough to break the chip.

For the benefit of those who haven't had to do this little job yet, I wonder if a second sequence of backing the tight ones down, another shot of penetrating oil, and another short wait would have made it easier still (and whether just doing it once would have helped the other six).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-07-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:07 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

It's always something with these cars, dammit.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:18 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hardcore302
It's always something with these cars, dammit.
Yeah but if you follow the TSB it really isn't all that bad. It also may or may not have helped that I ran a few cans of seafoam through the fuel system over the last two fill ups.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:50 AM
68WGT

Default Spark plug blow out

Good morning gentlemen,

My dad has had an independent garage for 25 years, and I just discussed the 3 valve 4.6 spark plug issue with him. He sees and repairs a lot of spark plug ports on various motors. However, the early 3 valve 4.6 aluminum heads cannot be fixed once the damage is done. The reason is because the hole was drilled in such a way that only 4 or 5 threads hold the spark plug in place. The result is that sometimes, the plugs are blown out because the threads cannot hold them in. Also, if damage is done to the threads, it often times cannot be fixed except by replacing the head. He said in 08 or 09, Ford fixed this problem. He knows much more about the technical details but unfortunately, I just bought a 2007 4.6 L GT before asking him detailed questions about this motor. I pray to god I don't have any problems with this 73k mi vehicle.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:58 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't worry about your plugs blowing out. I haven't read a single post about that happening on the 3v. I'd go ahead and replace your plugs with autolites. It couldn't hurt to run seafoam through the tank and do a bunch of wide open throttle pulls prior to removal.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:43 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

so wait, you take the car to a Ford Dealership, and they break a Ford part due to Ford's poor design, following Ford's protocols on removal, and you, the consumer are forced to foot the bill for their mistake?

EFF THAT GOOD SIR!

ive got 68,000 miles on this car with what appears to be the original plugs, the original owner was a family member and didnt read the TSBs apparantly...
Old 12-01-2012, 12:29 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Now, when you guys say "blown out", do you mean unwinding themselves? Just curious...
Old 12-08-2012, 06:53 PM
BAB GT
2nd Gear Member

I have several friends with V-10's that blew the entire ceramic portion of the plug out, leaving it dangling by the spark wire. If (or when) you break one and use the Lisle tool, you will see how this can happen. I broke 3, and the sights and sounds when using the Lisle tool is like being in the delivery room with your wife. Everything turned out OK, but it is something you will never forget.

Quick Reply: Issue with the 2005-2007 Mustang 3V Spark plugs?