Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

How to: 4.10 install and differential overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 12:14 AM
cstich08

thankyou all for your compliments. Diabolical! maybe I should change the name of the thread... haha

Originally Posted by bigstick
I'm curious. Which took longer? The write-up or the install?
haha honestly they took about the same amount of time

hopefully it saves someone else lots of time though
Old 12-26-2010, 03:48 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Wow.
Are you considering a future in cars?

If you did this successfully at your age with no help from experienced mech's all I can say about that is WOW.
Professional shops sometimes have trouble with these cars on gear swaps and for a first timer to do it with no problems is amazing, and for a 17 year old to do it is ASTONISHING to me.

I'm almost 34 and there's NO friggin' way I would attempt this.
Either you have some major money and don't have to worry about the cost of replacing things, or you have some brass ***** on you son.

Either way, bravo and hats off to you.
GREAT JOB!

On a side note:
I don't recommend ANYONE who is inexperienced with these cars to try this themselves. REALLY. This kid is the exception to the rule it seems.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Never2mucHP
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Wow.
Are you considering a future in cars?

If you did this successfully at your age with no help from experienced mech's all I can say about that is WOW.
Professional shops sometimes have trouble with these cars on gear swaps and for a first timer to do it with no problems is amazing, and for a 17 year old to do it is ASTONISHING to me.

I'm almost 34 and there's NO friggin' way I would attempt this.
Either you have some major money and don't have to worry about the cost of replacing things, or you have some brass ***** on you son.

Either way, bravo and hats off to you.
GREAT JOB!

On a side note:
I don't recommend ANYONE who is inexperienced with these cars to try this themselves. REALLY. This kid is the exception to the rule it seems.

Haha, I just noticed this. I want to say to the OP great job on the write up. You took a ton of pictures and put some concise information out there. I wish I had the patients!

That said, I just completed my own install this last week with a friend. It was fairly trouble free, and not as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. Honestly, if you have any sort of mechanical inclination, a little bit of patients, and the right tools and information it is not that hard. I do understand why shops charge so much for it, as it is a bit labor intensive and tedious, but most people would be able to tackle it in my humble opinion.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:07 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Wish I was that mechanically inclined or bright @ 17. Great write-up/job.

With something like this though, I´ll stick to paying a dude. I like knowing how and why anyhow so I still read it, so, good deal.

Cool and kinda sad that a late 30´s short is probably the best explanation as to why and how this actually functions.
Originally Posted by RAT281
wow nice write up
Originally Posted by jsnyng
Outstanding DIY guide.
Originally Posted by Never2mucHP
Haha, I just noticed this. I want to say to the OP great job on the write up. You took a ton of pictures and put some concise information out there. I wish I had the patients!

That said, I just completed my own install this last week with a friend. It was fairly trouble free, and not as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. Honestly, if you have any sort of mechanical inclination, a little bit of patients, and the right tools and information it is not that hard. I do understand why shops charge so much for it, as it is a bit labor intensive and tedious, but most people would be able to tackle it in my humble opinion.
Not much more to say than whats already been said. Great write up. I'll still pay my gear guy to do my installs though.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:04 AM
cstich08

Originally Posted by Never2mucHP

That's what I tried to get across in the begining. It's really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I know that it looks overwhelming looking at the writeup and everything else, but it just takes the right tools, the right information and patience. If it wasn't so foreboding and others were willing to give it a try then I think they would be surprised at how managable it is. plus, not everything in the write up is absolutely necessary for strictly a gear install, like the carrier bearings and axle seals for example.

I can't say that I would want to do these installs time and time again, but I enjoyed it for the experience
Old 12-27-2010, 01:47 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

The way you describe it makes me raise an eyebrow about all these stories with shops having problems.
Makes me think they are all just shops not putting forth the effort for the customer.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

The way you describe it makes me raise an eyebrow about all these stories with shops having problems.
Makes me think they are all just shops not putting forth the effort for the customer.
Bingo. Happens more often than people want to admit.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:35 PM
cstich08

I'm not gonna go knocking any shops, but it wouldn't surprise me. Thats part of the reason I wanted to do this myself. I knew that I would be willing to find a combination of shim swaps to get my backlash to exactly what I want it while the shop mechanic leaves it as close enough and I knew I would care enough to a) check the wear pattern, and b) change the shims if I needed to. things like that make me willing to put forth the time and effort. the learing experience makes me willing too.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:16 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

You're one smart cat, and I feel as dumb as Forrest Gump after looking at all these meticulous illustrations. Ill stick to paying the shop because I am not bright nor patient enough to figure out how something like this goes together. I know how it all works and understand the mechanics, but ill poop my pants as soon as I see all the parts lying on the ground and my . In any event, keep up the good work and thanks for the presentation.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:48 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I had not seen this 'til now, VERY nicely done!!!

Get your backside to a good engineering school, this country needs all the engineers we can get and I have no doubt you will shine!

Last edited by cliffyk; 01-16-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Quick Reply: How to: 4.10 install and differential overhaul