Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Reusable Air Filter differences?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:03 AM
10GT

Default Reusable Air Filter differences?

I'm going to purchase one of these reusable filters, I don't see the need (money wise) in buying a CAI when my stock "CAI" intake flows plenty for a n/a engine. Question is are there any advantages of the aFe filter being the shape it is and it being a dry filter?

Thanks in advance

K&N
http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...0A3224819.aspx

aFe Pro Dry
http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...0A3224819.aspx
Old 12-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I prefer a dry filter myself, mainly because cleaning and re-oiling is a pita. The oiled filters like the K&N allegedly can foul the MAF if they are over-oiled. I have had many K&Ns and never had this happen however. These days unless I'm running an intake, I just run the cheap stock filters and change them out often.

The airbox on the 2010 does indeed flow a little better than on the 05-09s, but it is not the Bullit intake that I see people claim it to be. The stock one is fine, but if you ever plan to do some minor bolt-on mods, it will be a restriction. With nothing but an intake/tune on a 2010, you can expect most of the gains from the tune, and the intake will be worth ~6-8 rwhp itself. As you stack more mods on, the returns from the intake will increase and become more substantial... mine isn't doing a ton for me right now having only an intake/tune, but on the plus side, it sounds cool.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:42 AM
10GT

Thanks for the input. I was leaning toward the dry filter too.

I'm still on the fence about the CAI, being I've read so many threads claiming its worth it its not, the stock on a 2010 flows plenty or its not quite enough, or adding certain CAI actually reduce hp gains through too large of tubing, etc.....
Old 12-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The bang-for-the-buck from the CAI (with a tune) on a '10 isn't as substantial as it is on an '05 thru '09 but it still provides some gains. I'd feel a bit left out not adding a CAI to a tune on a '10, mainly because I'd end up a few RWHP short of an '05 thru '09 with the same CAI & tune combo (all else being equal).
Old 12-30-2010, 11:32 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

AMSOIL makes an incredible dry filter that flows as well as the k&n but filters far better. It is a synthetic element with nanofiber technology. It's amazing. Check it out before you buy one. Doesn't hurt to look. And it's a pretty light blue color. And remove your silencer and it exposes over half the filter so it's a free cai.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:49 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The C&L I'm running has been good, I have no complaints. Its specific to the 2010 car, so fitment was perfect. If you never plan to do anything else to the car, you can probably save the money and skip the 6-8 rwhp if you wanted to. For me, the couple hundred bucks for the intake was worth the gains, combined with the fact that with more mods the intake will really assist later on...

Heres mine installed:

Old 12-31-2010, 07:35 AM
10GT

Ok, Ok, you've convinced me not to pass up on the small gains from a CAI. Thanks for all the input. I'm saving for the Ford Racing CAI & SF3 Tuner combo now.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by everett
AMSOIL makes an incredible dry filter that flows as well as the k&n but filters far better. It is a synthetic element with nanofiber technology. It's amazing. Check it out before you buy one. Doesn't hurt to look. And it's a pretty light blue color. And remove your silencer and it exposes over half the filter so it's a free cai.
I have an AMSOIL filter on my K&N Aircharger CAI. It is truly a great filter. No oil to mess with. They advise cleaning every 25,000 miles and replace every 100,000 miles. Works for me.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GT
... I'm saving for the Ford Racing CAI & SF3 Tuner combo now.
Don't buy the FRPP tunes. The FRPP tune will gain you less than an AM or Brenspeed tune.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:17 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Don't buy the FRPP tunes. The FRPP tune will gain you less than an AM or Brenspeed tune.
Good catch, when I saw SF3 I just assumed it wasn't FRPP (thinking it'd be a Procal), but that may not be true.

You'll want to get your intake/tuner package from American Muscle or Brenspeed, absolutely. Also, when I bought mine, the C&L was the only intake on the market that preserved the factory "noise tube". Others may have since followed, I don't know. That said, the tube isn't required, but if you like/want it to work still, be sure to pick an intake that uses it. There isn't much of a difference in the "usual suspect" intakes in terms of performance (Steeda, FRPP, JLT, C&L etc)...

Quick Reply: Reusable Air Filter differences?