Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Supercharger and a few other questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:17 AM
sgtpat

Default Supercharger and a few other questions

I am home for 2 weeks on leave from Afgh-crapistan. I have an 05 GT convertable that I am looking to soup up. Hoping for people who have done this to share their experiance with me.

I am looking into a Ford racing Supercharger. Who has done this and how did it go for you, and can I run at 550hp without some major upgrades to the stock motor?
Before I set my heart on the supercharger I was looking into cams, what cams do you guys run and how do you like them. I am looking for the old school sound, beyond what exhaust can do. I honestly want it to pound in someones chest when they are near it!! And what I have been told this is the only way to get the real thing.

I have the Shaker 500 stereo and like the sound but want more. The subs are in the door. Who has upgraded a convertable stereo and what did you use, troubles you had?

So give me your thought, ideas and experiences. Thanks alot guys!!
Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

550 HP is a lot on stock internals. Do a search for whipple superchargers. They say the tune for the whipple is great but with aftermarket cams......that means custom tune. You should call brenspeed and talk to them. They sell and install those parts.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Depends, if your talking 550 at the crank you would probably be ok with a good tune be around 470whp, 550 at the wheels on the stock bottom end I think you'd be playing with fire. I believe Whipple advertises crank hp but am not sure, I always assume crank unless otherwise specified. While I don't have cams Brenspeed is who I would go to for those as stated above by 808, probably need LT's as well with high flow cats or O/R if you really want to pound
Old 03-29-2011, 02:53 PM
sgtpat

Brenspeed the key is torque, anything over 450 needs to have the low end rebuilt to handle this. As a newbe, this means nothing to me. What would this include doing? and would the stock tranny be able to handle all this power?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:26 PM
sgtpat

Brenspeed said that i need to worry about torque more then horsepower. So if I exceed 450 pounds of torque what do I need to rebuild on the bottom end? I am new and this is my first test so hoping to cheat off you guys!!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:38 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sgtpat
Brenspeed said that i need to worry about torque more then horsepower. So if I exceed 450 pounds of torque what do I need to rebuild on the bottom end? I am new and this is my first test so hoping to cheat off you guys!!

Brenspeed sells a built B302 short block which is good for about 800 hp. This is the best route in my opinion to go. Ford racing also sells a built short block, Tousley ford has the best price. I went with DSS racing because they are hour away from where I live.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

I have been making 482ft of torque to the wheels for over a year now with no issue and I run my car at the track alot. I don't think 450 is a breaking point. If your tune is good you should be fine. But then again any time mod the motor it could pop.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:44 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I have cams with my supercharger and it sounds very nice. I have the hpipe with flowmasters. Ur probably gonna want the longtubes if you want it loud. But trust me just the hpipe and flows are loud. When u get the high flow cats installed make sure they are the metallic ones and not the ceramic. I would suggest an oil seperator as well
Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sgtpat
I am looking into a Ford racing Supercharger. Who has done this and how did it go for you, and can I run at 550hp without some major upgrades to the stock motor?
I did it. Went great. Installed in my driveway in a weekend. You'll be fine with the 550hp kit. The Whipple/ford racing tune is pretty conservative even at that power level. I make more than that and I'm fine.
Before I set my heart on the supercharger I was looking into cams, what cams do you guys run and how do you like them. I am looking for the old school sound, beyond what exhaust can do. I honestly want it to pound in someones chest when they are near it!! And what I have been told this is the only way to get the real thing.

I have the Shaker 500 stereo and like the sound but want more. The subs are in the door. Who has upgraded a convertable stereo and what did you use, troubles you had?

So give me your thought, ideas and experiences. Thanks alot guys!!
I don't have cams. The power to $$ ratio isn't worth it to me. I'm not big on audio either. Hope the other input helps.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:37 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

You need to determine you budget for this. You might be surprised how expensive it can get.

Quick Reply: Supercharger and a few other questions