Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Learn more about Stangs

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Vscout

Default Learn more about Stangs

First off, I didn't even know where to begin to search a thread for information. Basically, I want to learn how to really work on my Mustang. https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...d-started.html That post just kinda flipped a switch. It's amazing how the engine went out and he just fixed it himself.
I'm not really experienced with the mechanics of cars but would really like to learn. I know about as far as replacing oil, changing brake pads, and changing a CAI. Where would I even start to learn more about messing with Mustangs? I'm talking about changing suspension, taking the engine apart, etc. Highly technical stuff. I was thinking about taking a mechanics class at a college out here. What else could you guys suggest?

Thanks.
-jeff
Old 04-06-2011, 12:02 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I would look through a shop manual or repair manual. You can also look for a mustang club. Depending on size, a lot of them have meets where they work on cars. You can learn a lot and hands on.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Vscout

Originally Posted by alkemist
I would look through a shop manual or repair manual. You can also look for a mustang club. Depending on size, a lot of them have meets where they work on cars. You can learn a lot and hands on.
I bought a Haynes manual and read through it. The crappy thing about it is the low quality photos. I know of a Mustang club here in Las Vegas but I work on the days it meets so I'm trying to change my schedule to start going to the meetings. Thanks for the advice. I love my Mustang and just want to learn more about it.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:57 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Keep reading thru the forums. You'll learn plenty.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:06 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Keep reading thru the forums. You'll learn plenty.
+1
I've learned quite a bit here. If you have questions about a specific mod, chances are someone has asked the question or knows the answer. Also you can start off with simple mods. I did a CAI, axel back exhaust, drive shaft and some body mods. All of these were very simple to do and mainly involve removing a few bolts then putting the new part in. I would also suggest buying from someone like brenspeed. They have great customer service, and if you call them, they can walk you threw whatever problem your having with their product.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:47 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

as everyone said...manuals and read everything you can here...Also, make sure to check "taco bills" (and others) 'how-to'...they are all a pretty good read...
Old 04-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

You can learn a lot by reading this and other forums every other day weather you are interested in the topic of that thread or not. After a few weeks you'll get more knowledge and you may find an upgrade you can do on your stang that you never thought was possible. Like was said before...you can read everything in the forums written by pro's and weekend garage mechanics.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Vscout

Thanks for the advice. I'm just a little concerned of messing something up. I think my next big thing for my Mustang is a Magnaflow Magnapack axle back exhaust and x-pipe. I was thinking about having someone do this for me but I think it would be a good start to getting my hands dirty with this car.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 PM
luvmygt
2nd Gear Member

Like everyone else has said, you can learn a lot from here. Between here and my haynes manual i have: changed my oil, changed my fuel filter, replaced my grille, moleskin on my windows, installed my stereo, installed my amp and a subwoofer, replaced a 4 brake pads and rotors, added stripes, installed gt500 spoiler, installed multiple sets of mufflers and midpipes (till i finally got it right lol), paint my center console (but that was a FAIL lol), and install a CAI and tune. Not to mention the little things i fixed like my idle problems(throttle body cleaner n MAF cleaner) and rattles....this forum is priceless

Last edited by luvmygt; 04-06-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vscout
Thanks for the advice. I'm just a little concerned of messing something up. I think my next big thing for my Mustang is a Magnaflow Magnapack axle back exhaust and x-pipe. I was thinking about having someone do this for me but I think it would be a good start to getting my hands dirty with this car.
I'm the exact same way but small things like axle backs and an x pipe are very simple (I've done my axle backs). You just need to get the car in the air (jack and jack stands), unbolt the old mufflers and mid pipe, bolt the new ones up and you should be good. If there are any rattles then you may have to play with it but there shouldn't be anything wrong. If you have problems just look on here, you can find the answer.

Quick Reply: Learn more about Stangs