Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

SPEC Stage 2 + squeal from stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 AM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah don't worry I won't. I'm just glad I get to recover some of the cost of the Spec by reusing the flywheel.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:47 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Sam, I just answered your e-mail. I wish I never bought that Spec clutch either as mine has high RPM shift issues as well as the noise. Bought it from Brenspeed cause they recommended it. Remember you gotta pull the KB compressor to change the clutch. Just another issue that makes it so much more fun.

Originally Posted by SamsBlueGT
Yeah don't worry I won't. I'm just glad I get to recover some of the cost of the Spec by reusing the flywheel.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:26 PM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jerjan
Remember you gotta pull the KB compressor to change the clutch. Just another issue that makes it so much more fun.
Well dang, I hadn't thought about that part...ugh. Maybe I'll ask the shop that installed my Spec what they did to install the clutch.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:02 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Well dang, I hadn't thought about that part...ugh. Maybe I'll ask the shop that installed my Spec what they did to install the clutch.
It only takes 10 minutes to pull the blower off. It's super easy.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:08 AM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Well alright then, I guess I should have realized that, being that I'm the one that installed my KB and all...silly me being away from my car for 10 months now has made me forget a few things!
Old 05-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I've taken mine off 8-10 times atleast.

The Saleen's apparrently are a bitch to get off and I'm not sure about the whipples. Some shops lower the motor on the K member. They just loosen the bolts and drop the K member an inch or so. The tranny then tilts down and you can get to the top bolts.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Hello all, I have a SPEC Stage 2 + clutch (with matching SPEC aluminum flywheel) on my stang, had it about 1500 miles now and it's developed a squeal when I engage it from a stop. Does anyone know what may have caused this? Or how I can fix it? Oh and the throw out bearing was replaced with the clutch too IIRC.

Thanks in advance...

OH crap man. Wish you would have come here before getting that.
I had the SAME problem.
SPEC told me to drive it through the break in period and I did and it did not fix it.

They then tried to blame the install like I installed them but I told them i had it installed professionally from Ford and I did.
Then they said FINALLY that it was because of the material the clutch is made of. They said it would go away. IT DID NOT.

Then I was finally told by one rep they were having complaints about it.
I told them I wanted a refund and they refused.
I told them I wanted a replacement and they said I could send it off but I would only get a replacement if they found a mechanical problem. WHICH I KNEW WAS A B.S LINE.

Bottom line is this.
I ended up yanking both the SPEC clutch and flywheel and threw them BOTH in the damn garbage. I had to eat the cost of ANOTHER new clutch, flywheel, and install.

I went with an EXEDY clutch and flywheel and was VERY HAPPY.
They make great items and they dont cost as much as a twin disk.

Unless you think you can live with that sound you will have to do the same.
TRASH THAT POS and get a different brand.
Either get Mccleod or EXEDY.

I hate to say that to you. It was a freaking NIGHTMARE for me but I'm not gonna lie to make you feel better. That sound CAN NOT be fixed.

I had people all over forums telling me horror stories about SPEC after I got mine. Wish I had realized just how bad it was.
I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND SPEC TO ANYONE EVER EVER EVER!

They also either treat customers like complete CRAP, or they sound all nice while lying to you at the same time. That's what they did to me.

DITCH THAT CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL.
You will be glad you did even though you are going to have to eat the cost.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:37 AM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Smoke,

Yeah I came to that slow realization, and I'm soaking up the cost of the clutch in order to get the Mcleod. I emailed Mcleod and they said the Spec flywheel is fine for their clutch so I'll do that, I'm just getting a new friction plate so the flywheel is "brand new" again . I really wish I had read more into the forum before buying the Spec. I just wonder how all these companies still sell this crap product.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:33 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jerjan
Remember you gotta pull the KB compressor to change the clutch. Just another issue that makes it so much more fun.
Why? You should be able to lower the whole motor/tranny by removing the engine cross member bolts. You'll need a big floor jack under the cross member.

I don't have the spec stage 2+, I have the 2 and it's still working. It was making a metal on metal sound, but it went away all by itself.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:45 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

Ive been running the spec stage 2+ for over a year now. The clutch works fine and handles high rpm shifts very well, but it has the squeaking sound when taking off and sometimes when i downshift.