Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Best CAI for 2010 GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Default Best CAI for 2010 GT

Planning to install a CAI on my 2010 GT. Narrowed it down to the C&L or the Steeda - both with tune. Any experience that may help me make my decision? Is it even possible for one of these to make more power than the other? What are the actual (dyno-tested) gains from one of these with a premium fuel tune on a stock 2010? Ive heard ~30HP+ can be expected, but not more than 40HP. Planning to possibly do axle-back exhaust, but there is really no appreciable power gain from that mod. Biggest bang for the buck is CAI w/ tune, for sure. Any help is appreciated. Thanks...
Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maine-iac
...Is it even possible for one of these to make more power than the other?......
Not that you can measure with any accuracy.

Originally Posted by Maine-iac
...What are the actual (dyno-tested) gains from one of these with a premium fuel tune on a stock 2010? Ive heard ~30HP+ can be expected, but not more than 40HP.....
You probably heard right but WHAT you heard is wrong. First off, the tune is your major power gainer so be more mindfull of who WRITES your tunes than what CAI to get. As far as the power gains, I've replied to numerous threads regarding gains on the '10 with CAI & tune and have stated reasons why they're not as high as what you get on an 05 thru 09 (which I won't take the time to repeat here and now) but expect to see approx 8-12 or a bit more RWHP gain with a good CAI & tune on your '10 (about 80% or more of which is from the tune).

EDIT: Read this... https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...n-a-10-gt.html

Last edited by Nuke; 06-10-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

After struggling and bugging poor Nuke about it, I finally pulled the trigger on the Steeda. Far better built that the others I have looked at. I have been running the stock CAI with a Bama 93 octane tune. Since I have changed to a different (real) CAI and another tune, I can tell you that it is worth the money for the Steeda in my opinion. Like Nuke said, the quality of the tune is the difference. I am running a custom 93 octane "race" tune as a DD and have no complaints at all. My dead spot @ 2500-3000 RPM is gone, and it now pulls hard and steady without the "power band" effect.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Never was a bug...
Old 06-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Okay so I researched this a little more too - (searched the forums for prior discussions, etc.). Turns out my 2010 already has a CAI right from the factory. Also comes with a more aggressive tune than prior years. So I question what I can really gain by adding a different CAI. A K&N drop-in filter will get me 3-5HP (tops). Some say it won't, but it has to - it flows more freely and will pick up a pony or two. Maybe a new tune will gain me a few more HP, but if I can't feel it it isn't worth the ~$400. I'm thinking a Tillman, Bama or Brenspeed custom tune. It's my daily driver so I don't want something too radical. Of the mods I was planning - axle-back exhaust, CAI and tune - I think the tune is probably the only one worth doing - maybe. Any thoughts?
Old 06-12-2011, 01:37 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

A drop in K&N will not give you 3 or 5 HP. Even if you add an axle back I am betting you will only gain 2 to 3 HP maybe. Your correct in the fact that you have a factory CAI. It flows about 800-825 cfm. So what all do you get with a CAI & tune fro a '10? To start of with you will be getting a "true" CAI. Do not let Ford fool you with an air box with a snowflake on it. You will also totally loose that split second throttle hesitation and your throttle response will be instant. I guarantee that with a aftermarket CAI ( I personally chose Steeda ) and a GOOD CUSTOM TUNE ( again, I chose Bama ) you will not only feel a difference, you will never look back. More people balk on this one simple mod that is absolutely the most bang for the buck, than any other mod on this site. If you look on another post you see what I am talking about. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. If you need a filter, PM me.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The OP obviously didn't take the time to read thru the link I posted in #2 above. I suppose if he wants to continue to make assumptions, have at it. What do I know...

The comment he makes about the K&N drop-in making ANY power is a sure sign that he's yet to learn about these cars and about BS advertising. It's his money. Just wave as you pass him...

Last edited by Nuke; 06-12-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The OP obviously didn't take the time to read thru the link I posted in #2 above. I suppose if he wants to continue to make assumptions, have at it. What do I know...

The comment he makes about the K&N drop-in making ANY power is a sure sign that he's yet to learn about these cars and about BS advertising. It's his money. Just wave as you pass him...
I appreciate your help, but not your latest comments. You have no idea who I am or the experience I have. Just because you think you have all the answers doesn't mean you do. Sorry I asked. I don't need this type of BS attitude.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
A drop in K&N will not give you 3 or 5 HP. Even if you add an axle back I am betting you will only gain 2 to 3 HP maybe. Your correct in the fact that you have a factory CAI. It flows about 800-825 cfm. So what all do you get with a CAI & tune fro a '10? To start of with you will be getting a "true" CAI. Do not let Ford fool you with an air box with a snowflake on it. You will also totally loose that split second throttle hesitation and your throttle response will be instant. I guarantee that with a aftermarket CAI ( I personally chose Steeda ) and a GOOD CUSTOM TUNE ( again, I chose Bama ) you will not only feel a difference, you will never look back. More people balk on this one simple mod that is absolutely the most bang for the buck, than any other mod on this site. If you look on another post you see what I am talking about. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. If you need a filter, PM me.
Agreed - K&N and axle-back both give a few HP, but are really not worth it. I've seen dyno figures for the Steeda and C&L, but not specifically for a 2010. It would be nice to see actual gain on a 2010 with and without a tune.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:18 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

The hardest thing to do is to try to "sell" something to someone that you know they will need and enjoy. I was in exactly the same place until about 2 months ago. I do not regret my decision one tiny bit. I even was using the same mind set as you are. I am not slamming you one bit, because you are even doing the exact same research as I did. Go to Steed's website and read. C&L, who is very close to where I live has an outstanding explanation on the factory CAI vs a C&L CAI. You will also discover why a good custom tune is very important. What it all boils down to is that it is your car and your money. Do what YOU think is best. Just remember one thing. There are years upon years of knowledge on this site. You will learn who to listen to and who is just blowing smoke. Nuke is NOT blowing smoke. He will straight tell you the facts as well as I and many others will. This forum is a very powerful tool. I wish you lots of luck on whatever you decide to do.

Quick Reply: Best CAI for 2010 GT