Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Which Canned Tune To Go With

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 04:28 AM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

Default Which Canned Tune To Go With

So I've narrowed it down to either Brenspeed or American Muscles new BamaTunes. I've used Brenspeed in the past and liked their tunes a lot. Never used Bamatunes but have heard good things. Happy they do the tunes now for American Muscle because I never would have used one of their tunes before Bama took over the tuning department. I've been out of the game for a while and don't know who to go with.

I need a few different tunes. UPDATE WILL BE USING AN SCT XCAL 2 TUNER
MMR built 5.0 Stroker 900 engine with 9:1 compression
Comp Stage 2 Cams
Stock Mustang Airbox (just for smogging purposes)
Steeda Motion Delete Plates
Steeda Underdrive Pulley
Mac Ceramic Shortie Headers
Mac Prochamber Midpipe
Mac Mufflers
20" Saleen Wheels
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
McLeod Stage 3 Clutch
plus suspension parts that I doubt make a difference on the tune....

Then either 1 or 2 more tunes with the same mods above just swopping a Steeda Cold Air Intake out for the stock airbox after I get it smogged! =) Thinking maybe a 87 and 91 octane tune with the Steeda CAI.

Please Flame Away With Thoughts!!!

Last edited by SD05GT; 06-15-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:22 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

I love AM bro! I have ordered alot of parts from them and have always been satisfied with my purchase...that being said, my tunes are from brenspeed. I have even had an emailed tune sent to me from them and they are always on point with the tune. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I will say I have seen a few posts lately with guys having problems throwing codes with bama tunes installed. Could be information error by the customer who knows, but you hardly ever hear that from the guys ordering brenspeed tunes....just sayin.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:46 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Mayo is right about the Bama tune issue. I have in the past 6 months seen a lot of issues with them on the forum. However, I run Bama tunes and have had no problems what so ever. It is a little tricky ( to me ) to get everything ready to down load. It is an SCT problem and not a Bama problem. Either one is a good choice as long as you stay away from anything that is a canned tune. That may be where the problem lies I think. Never had one minutes trouble with downloading, ordering, or running Bama's tunes.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The tunes that come with the SCT FROM SCT are canned. The tunes from AM/Bama, Brenspeed and the like are custom. You can use a canned tune on any S197 but it's lame. A custom tune is PCM/engine specific. That being said, I'd definitely contact the techs at AM/Bama or Brenspeed and discuss your engine with them. Tuning your engine may not be their typical daily custom tune but I doubt it's not something they can't handle.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:28 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The tunes that come with the SCT FROM SCT are canned. The tunes from AM/Bama, Brenspeed and the like are custom. You can use a canned tune on any S197 but it's lame. A custom tune is PCM/engine specific. That being said, I'd definitely contact the techs at AM/Bama or Brenspeed and discuss your engine with them. Tuning your engine may not be their typical daily custom tune but I doubt it's not something they can't handle.
What he said. A canned tune is a crap tune. I had to learn that the hard way.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:10 PM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

Okay. So it looks like I misused the phrase "can tuned" and im leaning toward Brenspeed. Thanks a lot. Probably will order tomorrow! Kepp them coming. I appreciate the input.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:12 PM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

So I was on American Muscles website reading about their tunes and I noticed a couple things. 1 I was reading the customer reviews about their tunes and it seemed like a few different people actually bagged on Brenspeed and said Bama's tunes were much better. Like they had brenspeed and switched to Bama because the car wasn't running correctly. Something else that bothered me was they didn't show the Xcal2 as one of their tuners that worked with their tunes? Is my tuner outdated and not working now or can I still download the tunes on it?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

With your custom built motor you definatly need to call the tuners and talk with them. Brenspeed has been top notch for me over the years. AM has also but I have never used their tunes.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:58 AM
chrismc

For how built your motor is, i would go with BLOW BY RACING. They are amazing, give them a call
Old 06-16-2011, 08:07 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

More of what I referred to....what's the deal with this?

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...w-2-codes.html

Quick Reply: Which Canned Tune To Go With