Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

08 GT Spark Plug Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Also.. when doing this have you been coating the plugs with anti seize?
It is recommended to do this both before removal... and letting the car sit overnight
with it on, which is what was done on my 06 GT, AND after you buy new plugs to
avoid the problem in the future.

Ford changed the recommendation from carb cleaner to anti seize. I'm sure they had a reason to do so.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:31 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Also.. when doing this have you been coating the plugs with anti seize?
It is recommended to do this both before removal... and letting the car sit overnight
with it on, which is what was done on my 06 GT, AND after you buy new plugs to
avoid the problem in the future.

Ford changed the recommendation from carb cleaner to anti seize. I'm sure they had a reason to do so.
I'm a little confused on what you are telling the OP. To get them out....you don't soak them with anti-sieze....it won't wick down and soften the carbon. You must use something that will breakdown and soften the hard carbon buildup. I just did this last week and used PB Blaster and it worked great. When I first cracked the plugs loose for the soak, I didn't think they were going to budge but with a little more force they did. I soaked them with the PB and 15 minutes later (all on a warm engine) I started working them out. They creaked and groaned all the way....but came out in one piece. I will apply anti-sieze when I put new ones back in. This week during the Saleen install.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

I'm at 77,000 and really should get to poping them out

I have a set of E3 plugs that have similer design (but one piece not 2)(just to be clear the E3 plugs I have are the ones I'm plannign to put in not the ones I'm taking out)

but I'm still scared to try and one shop said that if they do it it's $200 per broken plug

My understanding is
(have your deity bless your penatrating oil so that it might not fail you)
spray in penatrating oil or carb fluid
(pray to your deity of choice)
1/8th turn
spray in more fluid
let set for 15min (while doing this hop on one foot pouring holy water on yourself and holding a symbol related to your religion)
turn 1/4
turn back 1/8
turn 1/4
(thank your deity for having let it not break yet) (or if it has then beg forgivness for your sin)
repeat the last 3 steps till out and add fluid if it seems to stiff

apply anti-seaze to the new plugs
insert new plugs
then repeat for the remaining plugs

anyone try the E3 plugs yet?
also any thing that might help? (ie running fuel system cleaner for a few tanks first or such?)

the deity parts were added to show how woried I am that I'll break a plug and then somehow fail at using the tool (I think I might wait till income tax time and just see about buying a new set of heads)
Old 06-25-2011, 08:22 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I read all the horror stories about these plugs so changed mine at 50K (I have 82K on her now).

The plugs were very difficult to remove. Followed TSB, it took about 3 or 4 hours of waiting/move the plugs a little to get them all out.

Went with the Brisk 3VR17YS, expensive little devils. I used anti sieze on the new plug install.

We will see how easy it is to remove the Brisk plugs when the time comes.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:39 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I always heard either the Champion one piece plugs (so you don't have to worry about them breaking again), or the Autolites were the best ones to use in these cars.

I've only had one person I know use the Brisk and unfortunately his did not work well and before too long they had to be changed. Hope you have better luck and I'm not saying they aren't good.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Jeckler

I wonder if doing a Seafoam through a vacuum hose treatment ahead of time would help prevent the plugs from sticking due to carbon buildup.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

from what I've read its doubtful that seafoam would prevent it but it couldn't hurt

the reason for the doubt is that the spot is up in the heads and seafoam might not reach up in the space between the plugs and heads

on that note I wonder if shell's nitrogen in fuel would help (or even if it works like they claim)

I think I'm going to have to order the tool and give it a wack