Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

4.6 spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:21 AM
srekab

Default 4.6 spark plugs

I'm just bought a 05 GT cv with 14k miles on it. I've been cleaning it up and checking everything out. Changed the engine oil, a general inspection. My next thing I would like to do is remove the spark plugs and clean them up. I realize there are issues and thats why I want to do it now. I don't believe there should be much trouble with the carbon build up and difficult removal having only 14k on them. I'm I wrong about this? Regardless, I will use the carburetor cleaner to soak them after loosening them 1/8 turn. Anyone have a better method?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:34 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Method is fine, however, might as well get the one piece Champion plugs and be done with the problem for good. Never again will you have to worry about treading softly when it comes to pulling out the spark plugs.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:01 AM
srekab

Thanks for the info, Champions are the ones to get?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:39 AM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Yep Champions. They are a little expensive, but worth it to never have to worry about the problem again.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 PM
bobbadio

Hey guys, so I just took out my spark plugs and two broke... After a day or two of hyperventilating I got the Lisle tool and took them out. I reallllllllly don't want to put in the two piece design. Everyone keeps on saying use champion, but how good will they work with a V3 Vortech?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bobbadio
Hey guys, so I just took out my spark plugs and two broke... After a day or two of hyperventilating I got the Lisle tool and took them out. I reallllllllly don't want to put in the two piece design. Everyone keeps on saying use champion, but how good will they work with a V3 Vortech?

Champion doesn't make a heat range colder plug so I wouldn't suggest it try Brisk or stick stick with the autolite HT0's
Old 07-06-2011, 04:02 PM
bobbadio

That's what I figured. Has anyone used Brisk? Are they a good plug? I never realized that they had a one piece design
Old 07-06-2011, 04:26 PM
mallen5153

I just bought a 07 GT should i be worring about the plugs at 20000 miles.. what is the issue with them ,,,,,
Old 07-06-2011, 05:00 PM
bobbadio

The 2 piece design that Ford has designed are sometimes breaking in the head when being removed. There is a carbon build up around the electrode part of the spark plug which somewhat fuses it to the walls. I just removed mine because I put on a Supercharger and two of the broke inside the head. IT SUCKS! They do have a tool that removes them which is very easy to use but it's still very annoying. Ford has a TSB about it which directs you how to remove them "Properly" but people still find themselves breaking them. That's why I'm trying to find a good plug that is a one piece design that will work well with my blower. I don't wanna be bothered by this again.....
Old 07-06-2011, 05:51 PM
srekab

Well,I removed my plugs over the weekend without incedent. I loosened them about 1/4 turn and soaked them with PB blaster. I would say 4 of them after loosening a couple turns screwed out by hand. The others were tight enough I used the wrench the whole way out. # 7 was pretty tight all the way. The carbon was pretty much dissolved from the blaster and could wipe almost all of it off with just a rag. I wire brushed the threads and lower sections applied anti-sieze compound and reinstalled. I feel there will be no more issues with the plugs after this. The plugs all looked like new and the anti-sieze should keep them from sticking any more. I plan to remove them every 15k or 20k miles from now on.

Quick Reply: 4.6 spark plugs