Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Need a little advice/help

Old 07-13-2011, 12:57 PM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

Default Need a little advice/help

Well first of all I just wanted to introduce myself and this is my first post, I usually just float around and listen to what others are doing with their stangs but I'm a little stumped for once. For one I own a 2010 Performance White Mustang GT Premium with 3.73 5 speed 19's and security and comfort packages. I've only done a BBK cai and SSS axle back off-road exhaust and side window louvers. Now I'm a mechanic at a local Ford dealer in NJ so I'm around these cars all day everyday and work on plenty of them and everything I do is by me at work where I have access to my tools and lift.

Now as far as being a little stumped, I'm looking to do an off-road x-pipe but I cannot find any mil eliminators for this car. I'm very **** when it comes to a cel and really do not wanna have one come up. I've done a lot of research and I'm not too sure i trust the o2 defoulers b/c I don't see how they could work considering the exhaust is still a sealed unit and the gases can still reach the sensor nomatter where you put the sensor but thats how i look at. As far as getting a tune I really don't wanna go with a tune just yet just to put a x-pipe in so if anyone has any other guidance to finding an mil eliminator or other alternative that I may be overlooking? Thanks and all help is appreciated
Old 07-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

If you have a BBK CAI then you already purchased a tune correct?
Where did you purchase it from?

If you got it from American Muscle or Brenspeed I would just call them. It is a BLIBBIT of a tune adjustment. NOTHING big at all for them.
I bet they would adjust your tune to solve your problem and not even charge you for it. Just email it to you and you can slap it on your hand held tuner and upload it to the stang and BOOM done!
Old 07-13-2011, 02:49 PM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

I've got the BBK cai that doesn't require a tune from AM for the '10
Old 07-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If you've got a CAI without a tune, you're giving away most of the potential improvement, never mind sacrificing some of the margin that Ford builds in against running too lean.

Whereabouts in NJ?

Norm
Old 07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

Belleville,NJ near Newark working for Fette Ford/KIA/Infiniti
Old 07-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

WHAT a CAI without a tune?

MAN.. I'm glad you posted that.
GET A TUNE FOR THAT CAR NOW!

Without a tune you are WASTING money.
I don't care WHAT JLT or ANY company advertise... you will NOT get gains from it.
If you do it will literally be like 2-5 HP and NO MORE.
You are throwing away virtually 80-90 percent of performance gains if you do not have a tune with your CAI. Plus as Norm said.. the running lean factor which you do not want.

Search every forum you can and you will hear the same thing.
GET A TUNE NOW.
Don't throw your money down the toilet.
That is EXACTLY what you are doing without a tune.
There's a possibility you could be harming your car more than helping as well, just as Norm stated.

You need to call AM, order a SCT tuner and a tune.
Going to have to spend some money, 300 smackers or more maybe, but you NEED to do this.

Oh and also the tuner will be a GREAT Investment for the future of your car.
Virtually EVERY performance mod you do on these cars requires a tune adjustment, and if you ever get an engine code for whatever reason, you can just
use your tuner to look up the code and see what the deal is. A hand held tuner and tunes are THE NUMBER ONE thing you need when getting into performance modding.
Plus when you buy from AM, you get free tunes for life after that!

Put that x pipe on hold if you have to man. The tuner NEEDS TO COME FIRST.

If you don't get a tuner and a tune I'm gonna hunt you down on these forums until you do haha!
As I said before future mods will be throwing money down the toilet just like, forgive me for saying, you have done with that CAI without a tune.
And again you will end up throwing a pretty damn messy wrench in that car of yours if you keep performance modding further without a tune.

I can't express this or say it enough.
GET A TUNER AND A TUNE... NOW.
NOW. NOW. NOW. NOW............................... NOW!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-13-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

P.S.

If Am tells you you bought a CAI that does not require a tune tell them you want to buy a tuner and tune anyways and tell them the reasons why.
This is a prime example why research needs to be done BEFORE modding a car.
If you want ask for Chris Rose at AM.
He is their go to guy when it comes to tuning and our cars for AM.
He is also A GREAT guy and cares A LOT about Mustang owners.

No worries though man. It was a mistake.
Many run into mistakes along the way when we first start modding.
Just fix the mistake.

Also... reply to this post just so we know you read it ok?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:37 PM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

Hahaha okay I guess i'm gonna gonna have to get the SCT from AM I was just trying to see if I could do it without getting one, I'm not worried about warranty issues considering I work for Ford so I easily get around it
Old 07-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Glad to hear you caught the replies!

DEFINITELY get the tuner and tune FIRST.
I'd do it freakin' TODAY.

These cars are not like the older models.
The tune is so important in these cars it's not even funny.
Be sure to tell AM ALL your car's details. I'd actually do it online in typing AND THEN call them just to make sure they have everything correct.
Tell them which CAI you have and that it is the one that does not require a tune but you want one regardless.

They are great people there.
I'm glad you made it to the forums and found this out.

As far as the tune and the warranty don't worry at ALL.
It won't be an issue.
If it was going to be.... the CAI just being on there would be a factor.
It wont though...again especially given you work there lol.

Heck I've been to three different dealerships for warranty work on my 06GT when I had it and got NO TROUBLE at all for CAI and a tune.
Even after I had gears, cams, headers and more on it.
The cams were Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams, but the long tube headers were BBK and so was my catted x pipe.

Of course they will never know about the gears unless you tell them if you change them but I wouldn't buy any other brand of gears other than the Ford Racing gears anyways. The others just aren't the same in quality.

Yup, get that SCT tuner and a tune and get on the right "track" lol.
Be sure you tell them you have an X pipe and need the tune to include the adjustment for the x pipe as well so that when you install their tune, it will not
give you problems with having the x pipe on there.

Happy modding my friend!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-13-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:51 PM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

How about passing emissions? There a real PITA here in jersey, I'm gonna be ordering the o/r x-pipe and tune at the same time so I can do everything all at once at work, and gonna be turning the rear o2's off with the tuner but you think it will go straight through inspection? I dont feel like dealing with those people and getting a big reject sticker like a loser

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a little advice/help