Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Help confirm high pitch noise pls

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

Default Help confirm high pitch noise pls

Hi and thanks for looking.

I dont have a means of recording the noise so I'll do the best I can to describe the symptom.

I have a Saleen Series VI.5 SC which I'm trying to determine as being the cause of the noise (noisy bearing in the snout??)

I went for a ride one day and as I sat idle while leaving a parking garage I heard a solid clunk from the engine bay, a nice metallic breaking sound of sharp clunk.

I resumed my drive and the car drove fine, no symptoms, lots of power, etc. I made a couple of stops (turned engine off, go do stuff, restart a little later...). The following morning I noticed only negative pressure (approx 20mm Hg) on my mechanical boost gauge and a high pitch/grindy noise that sounds like a worn bearing or something (not a squeeling noise). I found the T-fitting to my vacuum gauge had busted. I repaced the fitting and pressure reading was normal again, leaving just the noise issue.

I've used my stethoscope to try and locate the source of the noise and think it's most prominent around the snout of the SC. I've replaced the water pump just to rule it out. I've also replaced the alternator as it was squeeky and producing a lot of dust anyway. I've also replaced the accessory belt.

I've slipped the accesory belt and started the motor and the noise doesn't occur. So, I've eliminated the belt, the alternator, the water pump and the motor which leaves the starter or the SC.

Has anyone reported such an issue with their Saleen SC?

edit: To answer my own question... I just got off the phone with JDM. They said they've seen these SC's have this symptom and the root cause is bad bearings and recommended a rebuild with a company called PSE Superchargers in Oklahoma.

Last edited by MartyMoose; 07-07-2011 at 02:12 PM.