Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Add another 5r55s trans that took a crap with F/I

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:01 AM
tigerhonaker
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197winstang
That ? was for stealth-- where did you get the tran flushed and filter replaced..
The last Dealer I worked at was an Acura Dealership.
So I still have connections there.
And it is like only 10 miles from the house.
Took it to them and had one of the techs I am buddies with do the work.
Changed the Oil & Filter, plus dropped the TCI trans. pan to replace the Filter.
Also dumped the Tranny (Catch Can) located under the front fascia.
The other reason I go there is I choose Never to leave the Mustang without me being right there where the work is being done.
Don't know if you saw where I mentioned that TCI recommended changing the Fluid & Filter after the 1st 500 miles.
So just doing things to hopefully insure (Long-Life) with the TCI, hopefully.

Terry
Old 10-31-2011, 11:37 AM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

Thanks!-- +1 on not leaving the car... When I lived in CA A mustang shop did all the work on my car and I trusted them. Now that i have moved its very hard to trust anyone with the car.. especially the dealer.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:48 AM
tigerhonaker
1st Gear Member

Thanks!-- +1 on not leaving the car... When I lived in CA A mustang shop did all the work on my car and I trusted them. Now that i have moved its very hard to trust anyone with the car.. especially the dealer.
I do have the Link to the Service that was done with a bunch of pictures if you want to check it out.
And I do understand completely on (Trusting) a shop with your ride.
I can tell you I don't Trust many shops at all.
And that certainly includes Dealers !!!

Here is the Link on the Service below.

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2187355#post2187355

Terry
Old 11-01-2011, 12:55 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

That ? was for stealth-- where did you get the tran flushed and filter replaced..
i had mine done at a shop I have had work done before. I have done enough flushes to hate doing them myself. Not difficult, just really messy when having to drop the pan. Even if you drain it through the drain plug, a lot of if still comes out, especially when you pop off the internal filter. I hate the smell of trans fluid in mass form. Imagine dropping a pan without a drain plug lol

it sucks!

.. almost as bad as changing out the lower fuel filer on diesels.. buah!
Old 11-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

TCI finally got the input shaft needed to complete my transmission. Only problem being that NOW they were going to START assembling the transmission. Those mother f-...ornicators!!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:07 PM
tigerhonaker
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
TCI finally got the input shaft needed to complete my transmission. Only problem being that NOW they were going to START assembling the transmission. Those mother f-...ornicators!!!!
The only thing really to do is wait it out like I did.
And as we both know it is not a Fast process.

Just so you know mine is working perfect.
I Luv this thing it is the $hit.

tigerhonaker
Old 12-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Talking HALLELUJAH!!

Took some back and forth between Brenspeed, TCI, and me, but the transmission and converter finally arrived after a 4 month wait. Looks like it survived the trip to Puerto Rico unharmed. It came in a nicely packed box, stuffed with styrofoam, and wraped up with about 5 layers of saran wrap; all on a pallet. I must imagine the guy packing this must have gotten dizzy spinning around it with the wrap tube. lol
Anyways, i'm babbling with all the excitement.

I was wondering what transmission fluid people are using for this tranny, and would recommend to me?

Also, is there an initial break-in procedure I should be aware of? I'm kind of planning to drive it like a granny the first 50 miles (not because of it being new, but because of the 4 month old gasoline still in the tank), drive it moderately for about 490 miles, beat the living snot out of it for 10 miles, and then change the tranny fluid and drive it normally.

Sound OK?

Last edited by Acerbus 2.0; 12-20-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:14 PM
tigerhonaker
1st Gear Member

Exclamation

My Advise is this,

Drive it is a Calm Manner for the 1st 500 miles.

Here is the Trans. Fluid that is in mine.

And my TCI Superstreet Fighter works perfect.

tigerhonaker

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
Took some back and forth between Brenspeed, TCI, and me, but the transmission and converter finally arrived after a 4 month wait. Looks like it survived the trip to Puerto Rico unharmed. It came in a nicely packed box, stuffed with styrofoam, and wraped up with about 5 layers of saran wrap; all on a pallet. I must imagine the guy packing this must have gotten dizzy spinning around it with the wrap tube. lol
Anyways, i'm babbling with all the excitement.

I was wondering what transmission fluid people are using for this tranny, and would recommend to me?

Also, is there an initial break-in procedure I should be aware of? I'm kind of planning to drive it like a granny the first 50 miles (not because of it being new, but because of the 4 month old gasoline still in the tank), drive it moderately for about 490 miles, beat the living snot out of it for 10 miles, and then change the tranny fluid and drive it normally.

Sound OK?
Old 12-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
My Advise is this,

Drive it is a Calm Manner for the 1st 500 miles.

Here is the Trans. Fluid that is in mine.

tigerhonaker
Unfortunately, I went to every Pepboys, Autozone, and miscellaneous family auto store within 5 miles of me and none carry that fluid. Probably because it is a specialty transmission fluid. And thanks to some paranoid Federal mandate, you can't order any fluids or batteries or nothing on the internet from Puerto Rico. You're stuck with whatever junk the boats bring in to the local markets. Sucks.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway, tiger.

I was going to buy Royal Purple's Max ATF, but it seems royal purple must use UNICORN BLOOD or something for their oil blends because that stuff costs $16 bucks/qrt over here. wtf? And since I am going to change that ATF at 500 miles anyway, I went with Castrol Mercon V ATF fluid for now. $6/qrt.

And please save it with the whole "You spent $5000 on transmission and parts and you can't afford to spend $16 ATF?" thing. I'm just being practical here. I may go with the RP stuff when break-in is done.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:00 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

How many techs does it take to fill up the trans fluid?

1 for the job, and 2 to ooggle at the Mustang.

Quick Reply: Add another 5r55s trans that took a crap with F/I