Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Add another 5r55s trans that took a crap with F/I

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 09:09 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

my 5r held up to 500 rwhp fine, but it wasn't stock. As far a a 4r70w, DONT BUY A LENTECH!!!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:30 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cfr865
Thanks for the tips. I have been doing most of your saying except not flooring it from 5th gear, your saying drop out of overdrive then you can matt it all the way. Another quick question my trans. temp. runs about 210- 215 deg. after some sprited drving is this ok, or should I get a trans. cooler I know heat is hard on any trans.
As Terry said the PA deep pan is a very good investment but I don't think you really need an additional trans cooler, the stock one works fine. I just have the deep pan on mine and I have run it hard, with it being 95 outside and never got above 210. Another point to add about heat. These tranny's don't like not being up to temp. Make sure your trans temp is at least into the 175+ area before you start abusing the trans. They also don't like high power downshifts in any gear. As Terry said try to avoid slamming the throttle in the higher gears. Let the trans downshift before you start going full throttle.

Even doing all these steps this trans is not going to hold up to high power. If you are planning to build anything above about 550 rwhp you will be much better off to spend the money for a 4R70W setup. The physical size of the parts involved, no matter the quality, just will not allow the trans to stand up under big power.

Earl
Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 PM
tigerhonaker
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
As Terry said the PA deep pan is a very good investment but I don't think you really need an additional trans cooler, the stock one works fine. I just have the deep pan on mine and I have run it hard, with it being 95 outside and never got above 210. Another point to add about heat. These tranny's don't like not being up to temp. Make sure your trans temp is at least into the 175+ area before you start abusing the trans. They also don't like high power downshifts in any gear. As Terry said try to avoid slamming the throttle in the higher gears. Let the trans downshift before you start going full throttle.

Even doing all these steps this trans is not going to hold up to high power. If you are planning to build anything above about 550 rwhp you will be much better off to spend the money for a 4R70W setup. The physical size of the parts involved, no matter the quality, just will not allow the trans to stand up under big power.

Earl
Name:  goodpost.gif
Views: 132
Size:  3.3 KB

The Post above says it all. Name:  fing02.gif
Views: 130
Size:  2.3 KB

Terry
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Hey tiger u are right as this is what chandler from brenspeed has told me as well. Its good advice for anyone with a supercharged stang especially if u want to prolong the life of your tranny. I have a deep pan as well for my tranny and its nice. Easy to change tranny oil and easy to check. Probably one of the best mods i have done for maitenance. Plus I would advise on getting a trans catch can for your stang. JDM makes a nice one
Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 PM
tigerhonaker
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
Hey tiger u are right as this is what chandler from brenspeed has told me as well. Its good advice for anyone with a supercharged stang especially if u want to prolong the life of your tranny. I have a deep pan as well for my tranny and its nice. Easy to change tranny oil and easy to check. Probably one of the best mods i have done for maitenance. Plus I would advise on getting a trans catch can for your stang. JDM makes a nice one
AS you say a must is the, (Trans. Catch Can).
I went with the JDM one on mine.
It works perfect.

Name:  DetailtriptoBrenspeedDec2012131.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  674.6 KB

And IMO another must for, (Winter) below Pictures.

Name:  DetailtriptoBrenspeedDec2012118.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  619.2 KB

Name:  DetailtriptoBrenspeedDec2012120.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  682.6 KB

Name:  DetailtriptoBrenspeedDec2012122.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  614.5 KB

Name:  DetailtriptoBrenspeedDec2012123.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  219.7 KB

Name:  DetailtriptoBrenspeedDec2012124.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  257.1 KB

Name:  DetailtriptoBrenspeedDec2012125.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  398.8 KB

Name:  DetailtriptoBrenspeedDec2012126.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  568.0 KB
tigerhonaker
Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Acer, sorry to hear about your issues again. Glad to see your getting it fixed from somebody else.

I have over 200 passes on my stock 5r55, run a deep pan, JDM catch can and swap to fresh fluid once a year. With my aeroforce gauge I never see temps above 190` and I live in hot humid Hawaii. Jim Jr at JDM told me about what not to do with this trans when I bought my m90 from them. That is how I drive my car. I never floor it to where it downshifts hard and through multiple gears. I dont beat on it on the street but I do race the sh*t out of it every month.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

I just got the car back tonight.

Haven't "gotten on it" yet. I want to let it get a slight break-in first, and monitor the fluid levels or any weird noises. But so far so good with the Dynamic torque converter. Feels just slightly slippier at takeoff than the TCI 3500 stall did, but it could just be the clutches breaking in. The TCI felt slippy at first too, and then it tightened up.

Sorry I haven't been around the forums lately. I wanted to get away from anything mustang related for a while to distract myself from the fact that my baby was out of commission AGAIN.
I'll see if this time around I can follow all the advice you guys posted on how to drive these auto trans. But I wouldn't count on it. ROAD RAGE 4 LIFE!

I'll report back after a "spirited drive" happens.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I hope your new convertor works out.

I am on my last leg with stock manual transmission and will be buying a 4r70 next year sometime.

Good luck.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:05 PM
tigerhonaker
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
I hope your new converter works out.

I am on my last leg with stock manual transmission and will be buying a 4r70 next year sometime.

Good luck.
The 4R70 Tranny is the better choice for sure for certain applications.

If your going to run the Crap out of your's.
If your going to Drag-Race it a lot.

The 5R55s just will not hold up for constant Abuse.
That's not an opinion but based on those that have the 5R55s.

I have the TCI Super Street Fighter with the Circle-D Custom Billet Converter.
I have had zero issues with it so far.
But I can tell you I try my best to not do the things with it that I know cause issues/failures.

Terry
Old 11-23-2012, 10:03 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Acer, good luck man. I hope this one holds up for you.

Quick Reply: Add another 5r55s trans that took a crap with F/I