Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

the best cams??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:13 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Default the best cams??

I've been hearing bad stories about comp cams, i dont know much of it was true but i was wondering.. are the ford racing hot rod cams better to go with? or the comp cams ***** thumprs? which gives better performance and reliability?

also, does anyone know if mac long tube headers will fit fine with an slp catted shorty X-pipe? I have a borla stinger catbak and want it louder, i gotta change the clutch anyway and i gotta cut the stock H-pipe off so i might as well do it all at once.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:18 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

I think the 2 most popular are the Ford Hot rods and the Brenspeed Detroit Rockers
Old 08-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Hack Job
2nd Gear Member

I installed Hot Rod cams over last weekend. They sound amazing, very noticeable power gains (also did LT's), and zero issues with the install (other than having to buy 2 $16 bolts).
I followed guidance from many helpful posts from this forum + the FRPP instructions; however I did not use the wedge or spring compressor. Install took about 4 hours total.
I dont think you can go wrong either way - Hot Rod or DR.

See link in sig block for youtube vid of the cams...

Last edited by Hack Job; 08-21-2011 at 02:20 PM. Reason: added youtube URL to cams
Old 08-20-2011, 03:38 PM
tigerhonaker
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
I've been hearing bad stories about comp cams, i don't know much of it was true but i was wondering.. are the ford racing hot rod cams better to go with? or the comp cams ***** thumprs? which gives better performance and reliability?

also, does anyone know if mac long tube headers will fit fine with an slp catted shorty X-pipe? I have a borla stinger catbak and want it louder, i gotta change the clutch anyway and i gotta cut the stock H-pipe off so i might as well do it all at once.
Go with the Brenspeed "Detroit" Rocker's.
Very good Drivability and Sound Awesome.

Here is my contact person give him a call Monday.

Listen to my Video in my Signature below I am running them.

tigerhonaker
Old 08-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Southern Stang 722
2nd Gear Member

The hotrods and detroits are both great cams. I installed mine in about 5 hours taking my time and had to move alot of things around in the garage to get the car in out of the weather. Just installed hotrods in my buddies car last week and took 2 hours start to finish. No timing chain wedge, no spring compressor.

My buddies: http://youtu.be/YM0X_QViuCE
Mine: http://youtu.be/QjX7iHDOUpg
The sound is a little off on mine but you get the idea
Old 08-21-2011, 10:08 AM
gabb
1st Gear Member

I have the FRPP Hot Rods and love them, my favorite mod. I cannot comment on the rockers as I have no experience with them, but I would vote for getting the hot rods.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 PM