Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

TORCO anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:11 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default TORCO anyone?

I got a can of this stuff, but wondering if it'll foul up my spark plugs or not.

I want to make 93 out of 90 oct.

I spoke with a dude that fouled up his spark plugs when he tried to make 110 out of 90.. fvkced up his entire fuel sytem, had to flush it out, replace spark plugs, misfires up top etc... he was trying to boost 22 psi out of his fully built 2.2L turbo though lol.. kinda different than mine. Kinda.

Not sure if I should use this stuff of not..

93 octane tune waiting for install
Old 09-03-2011, 09:20 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

You will foul your plugs. Do a search, there is not much good about octane boosters and lots of bad. Don't do it.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:28 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Stayed up online and did some research.. pretty much Vette and Subaru guys swear by the stuff but it DOES leave a orange residue in the combustion chamber.. namely the valves, piston tops and possibly sleeves. They claim that it does not produce negative side effects. They were using it to bump it to 102-110 octane for high hp applications.

A lot of different car groups using this stuff and swear by it. Not like it's Lucas or Turbo 110+ like at Shucks, but the real deal. Some have been using this stuff for years, either just at the track or even daily driven..

hmmm.. I may just try it for track day tonight or tomorrow.. but definitely NOT everyday lol Brenspeed claims and additional 25-30whp alone from their 93 octane over the 90 due to more aggressive timing...
Old 09-04-2011, 10:40 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Let me know how it works out. I considered using some octane boost until I read so much bad on THIS forum about them. If it actually works and doesn't create problems, I would try it........
Old 09-05-2011, 01:36 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Pretty sure the octane boosts people refer to online are along the lines of Lucas and Turbo 108+ crap, which only raises it like .001 or something like that.

Torco 32 oz race accelerator actually increases the octane levels, say 20 gallons 93 octane with 32 oz Torco= 114 octane.

I read up a lot and it DOES orange the crap out of the valves and piston heads, not to mention the turbo/inlet. They supposedly do NOT foul up the 02 sensors but orange residue DOES get on it, but those guys are using A LOT of it and very frequently I believe.

Gonna test out a batch right now actually...
Old 09-05-2011, 03:00 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Holy falking shiet...

I just did a test run with the TORCO and 93 octane Brenspeed tune and WOW!

I could swear I have just picked up something like 20whp in the low end and about 30-35whp on the top end! No joke! Not only that but it runs sofaking smoother and idles way better! I can REALLY hear the V3 spool up now like never before.

I lined up with a brand spanking new 5.0 at a light he we both gun it.. NO traction whatso ever for me and he takes off like a bat outta hell.. by the top of 2nd, I am reeling him in and pass him. I ended up putting what looked like bus-lengths on the poor guy! lulz

At the next light he gives me a thumbs up and looks at my GT trying to figure out what model it is (GT/CS with a Bullitt front grille.. kinda looks like a 427R or a GT500 in the dark night, plus it's black )

Anywho.. VERY impressed with the 93 tune and TORCO. I used 16 oz exactly to 16 gallons of 90 octane gas. I still can't believe how much more power the 93 has over the 90 octane tune... wtf?!
Old 09-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Considering getting a 32 oz can of the stuff for a little insurance on race days. Read pretty much the same stuff. Leaves a nice orange dusting on the plugs, etc. but doesn't actually cause any fouling. I personally wouldn't run that stuff all the time but once in a while - no big deal.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:23 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Considering getting a 32 oz can of the stuff for a little insurance on race days. Read pretty much the same stuff. Leaves a nice orange dusting on the plugs, etc. but doesn't actually cause any fouling. I personally wouldn't run that stuff all the time but once in a while - no big deal.
I will start keeping this stuff in stock from now on

It really is night and day between the two tunes

I don't think it would foul up the plugs if I only used half a can (16 oz) only on race days (about twice a month for the summer months)

Just got back from the track.. it was sprinkling a bit but they let us run regardless. I did my usual burn out and staged.. right as I gun it it launches like a bat outta hell and I immediately go SIDEWAYS once it shifts from 1st-2nd.. I let off and slowly go through the rest of the 1/4..

ended up getting rained out for the day

Damn it.. last day of the season too! Buah!

Considering that these tires hook real well (dry) I consider going sideways as an indicator of new found power! Unfortunately, I wasn't ever able to get a clean run..
Old 09-06-2011, 01:02 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Does anyone run this stuff every tank and go hi boost? I'm just wondering if it is safe enough for that. I'm adding a supercharger and California fuel sucks!
Old 09-06-2011, 10:52 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I'd rather drain the entire gastank and refill with 93 than use a product that could potentially ruin something...

Quick Reply: TORCO anyone?