Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Need help diagnosing an issue after Comp Cams install and Bama Tune

Old 09-28-2011, 12:47 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy Need help diagnosing an issue after Comp Cams install and Bama Tune

Having a bit of a problem!!

Several days back, I completed the installation of my Comp Cams Muth Thumpr cams. They didn't require springs, but I put in new springs, also the REQUIRED Cam Phaser Limiters, and set the Bama 91 Race tune into my car, specifically for the current setup. Everything was degreed, the timing is dead on. I have checked it all numerous times since this problem occured. NOTHING is wrong with the way any of the components were installed.

I am getting consistantly a P0345 code. The car drives great (my car is a 5 speed by the way), save for a few things. When I am coming to a stop, it tries to die, and shoots up to 1,000-1,500 rpm for a second or two, then drops to nearly stalling again, then bounces between 750-900 very erratically.(in neutral or with the clutch in, this isn't as if I am running it at too low an rpm in gear...) Sometimes it doesn't do it, often it does. Seems to be a crap shoot. I've looked up this code and it seems everyone suggests the alternator. I know for a fact the alternator is not the cause. Even if I had not tested it, would be an unrealistic coincidence for the alternator to fail right after a cam install. Have only seen a few people having issues after cam installs, never mentioning a code, but it seems to often have been the tune they received, and I worry that's the case with me.

Talked to a gentleman at Bama this morning, they said the tune looked perfectly suited for the setup. I've never had a problem with their tunes before, but right now my car is all over the map and I just want to figure out what the cause is. Talked to Comp Cams, they spent a great deal of time with me over the phone as I physically checked my work on the camshafts, the phaser limiters, etc. (very patient people, I am very happy with how far they went to help me!) They are suggesting that it's either the tune, or possibly the cam sensor(s). Can't really afford to just throw parts at the car, and I was curious if anyone else had any experience with this or any advice on what to check, or possibly who specifically to ask for at Bama as I am not completely convinced that the problem isn't the particular tune I recieved somehow having a bad fluke to it. It just seems odd that a cam sensor(s) would fail also, right after a cam install for no apparent reason. The car is really all over the place on this tune. Like I said, it can't even find idle. Not blaming Bama, the gentleman I talked to spent a good 15 minutes looking at the tune and said it was spot on for the setup I have. It could be anything, I am just lost at where to go from here.

Last edited by OhEightGT; 09-28-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:43 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it sounds like you've tried most of the easy things and done
some pretty good research on this......very nice.

as for the cam sensor....if i'm not mistaken, you should be able to
swap them (left to right) to see if the code changes, obviously if
the code stays the same then it's not the sensor.

if it's not the sensor and the connector is making good contact, i'll
have to go with it being a phaser issue on the drivers side. maybe
one of the phaser arms is bent just enough so that when it passes
by the sensor, it doesn't register consistently.

hang in there and i hope you get it sorted out soon.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Agreed, swap the sensor from one side to the other see if the problem follows the sensor. It's not a CAM issue but somehow during the cam install you bumped or pulled the wire and/or connector for the CPS.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the tips guys! I will definitely swap them around and see what happens. Really hope I didn't cause any unseen damage to the phaser. If the sensors don't make a difference, and I get down in there again and see something I missed (a slight bend or something) is it possible/worthwhile to repair it or to replace just the phaser assembly on the driver's side? Or is it similar to brakes where you really want to just get it all at once?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:27 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

(also, I forgot to mention, it very rarely *maybe 5 times since the install* throws a P0349 as well. Just cleared the codes as I am about to swap the sensors and that code was there this time. It throws the original one I posted constantly, this one though like I said is pretty rare by comparison)
Old 09-28-2011, 03:49 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Well, for better or worse (I guess depends how one looks at it) It's not the sensor itself. Swapped them around, the code stayed the same. Would appreciate any help on what to check next. Thanks again everyone!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:00 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

ok very good, you swapped sensors and can now rule out a
(CMP) sensor as the issue.

ok....both the 0345 and 0349 are for bank 2 (drivers side) so
at least that is consistent. i would have to pull the drivers cam cover
next, to get a good look at the phaser. it might be obvious when you
look at it, now that you know you are looking for a slightly bent arm.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:10 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Thanks! I will pull the cover later tonight and look at it. Will take some picss too, perhaps some trained eyes will notice something my untrained eyes miss. If the arm is slightly bent, might it be possible to bend it back? Or is this the kind of thing I'm just going to have to break down and order? (also, is there a way I could possibly test the connector to make sure the wire/connector were not damaged? Or are those codes proof enough the wire and connector are good?)
Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

as far as the phaser arm, yes by all means you can simply bend it
back so that it looks like the others.

it's a good question about testing the connector. if you pulled the
harness connector off the PCM and put an ohm-meter on the correct
pins, you might be able to tell if it's a good connection or not. i don't
know what you should see for resistance though and would it be worth
the risk.

i think in this case the simple approach is best.

Last edited by hammeron; 09-28-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-28-2011, 05:15 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Good! Though I really can't imagine how I could have bent it at all, I was extremely gentle with it and took my time, but I suppose things happen! Yeah, I won't worry about testing the connection. I mean I didn't even really move the wiring much at all, I can't imagine anything being wrong there. Won't be able to take that side apart until after the baby goes to sleep (wife is with her sister tonight!) but I will post back with some pictures and what I find. Thank you so much again! I'm usually pretty good at picking this stuff up but this is new territory for me, haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help diagnosing an issue after Comp Cams install and Bama Tune