Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Help me decide AUTO OR MANUAL

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 02:40 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

i run a reverse manual valve bodied C-4 with a pro tree trans brake. Works great, wouldn't have it any other way. Car ran 11.55 and trapped at 119mph. full interiored street car on pump gas, all motor. Nothing wrong with staying automatic brother!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:45 PM
streetsteve

Sweet
Old 10-21-2011, 11:17 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Manuals are a PITA at a drag strip. Harder to stage, harder to burn out, and good luck keeping up with the shifting of a tuned automatic unless you no lift shift. You'll burn up clutches and in the case of no lift shifting possibly trash synchros. It's just not worth the trouble IMO if you want to race the car frequently and care about being faster than the next guy. At least at my track the majority of people are running automatics and the first thing they'll tell you is to get rid of the ****ty manual transmission. It's a liability not an asset I don't care whether it traps a little better or not. If you are one of those guys who has blown up enough stuff to get good with the manual transmission - then you will have the bragging rights. It does take more skill than the automatic.

Manuals are more fun to drive on the street. I'm keeping mine.
Spoken like a real racer. I would agree completly. If you plan on competitive racing then get the auto. It is by far more consistant As far as fun on the street the manual is the bomb. In a perfect world we would all have both. And there is no wrong answer to this never ending battle. Its whats good for you.
The TCI rachet shifter is awesome too. Getting a tune via brenspeed or other good tuner will have the auto chirping second and third gear. This is when my car just had cai, tune and headers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSjLlRoBL1M

Last edited by 808muscle; 10-21-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:02 AM
streetsteve

Nice vid, great car, i like that silver, thanks for posting it,
Old 10-22-2011, 03:36 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

I had a 2008 GT with a manual. Now I have a 2010 with an auto.

I'll have to say...I REALLY miss the manual. I miss having the gear clash trying to get in to second when it's cold outside. I miss it not wanting to shift in to reverse the first time. I miss the thunking from the driveline. I miss spilling coffee because I had to make the shift. Mostly I miss the time delay between shifts because it was rough and just didn't want to go in to gear smoothly.

In all seriousness, I traded the 2008 for the 2010 ONLY because the manual transmission sucked so bad. The car only had 18K miles on it and I was the only owner. I've also had three other manual mustangs (65 fastback, 90 GT, 95 Cobra) so I'm pretty sure I know how to drive a manual and can say without a shadow of a doubt that the new transmissions (2005+) blow. If you don't agree that's fine and you're entitled to your opinion. It doesn't take much to do a search of the forums though, to see that I'm in good company with my opinion. From what I've read the 2011+ have their share of problems as well.

I think manuals can be fun (my wife's car is a manual and I enjoy driving it) but there's no fun in the Tremec POS that Ford put in the newer Mustangs.

I love my auto and would never go back.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:45 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

The age old debate continues...auto or manual. To me driving habits answers this question everytime. Ask yourself where and how you will be doing a majority of your driving and the answer will be obvious.
Commuting and running redlight to redlight is an auto waiting to happen, where running backroad twisties and roadcourse style tracks is the stuff where a manual is definatley benefical.
To me there is no wrong answer provided you have TRUELY taken your driving habits into account.
Goodluck with your purchase!
Old 10-22-2011, 01:29 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by streetsteve
Nice vid, great car, i like that silver, thanks for posting it,
Sure, good luck with your search. TCI ****.....why not.
Attached Thumbnails Help me decide AUTO OR MANUAL-img_20110424_171952.jpg  
Old 10-22-2011, 03:11 PM
streetsteve

Hey man how are you likin that tci shifter, thanks for all the comments, i enjoy reading them, am leaning towards the auto now, im about 70 auto 30 manual, would still like to tesg drive the manual just to be sure, now just need to settle on color and wheel options,
Old 10-22-2011, 03:28 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

The upgrade in the looks dept alone make the shifter worth the money. The polished aluminum handle, leather boot, lighted indicator are all top quality. Its at the perfect height to rest your right hand on while driving. Fords stock piece is truly a piece of sh#t compared to the tci unit. It is as sexy as it looks in the pics. Shifting with it is very precise. It locks in and you cannot overshift it. It is by far the nicest aftermarket shifter I have ever seen. When I was shopping for a car, I was so turned off by the plastic shifter in the stang. When I saw a pic of the tci unit, I knew I would have to have it. Its part of what actually convinced me to buy the stang.

Do you plan to race your car? What are you needs with the car? Manuals are great too, its all about your needs.
Attached Thumbnails Help me decide AUTO OR MANUAL-img_20110424_154521.jpg  
Old 10-23-2011, 08:42 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

lol...808 that's the first time I have seen that ugly pos since I got rid of it.
A must for the auto in my opinion, and I love mine (although I don't actually use it for manual shifts alot). As 808 has stated for a cosmetic upgrade alone, it is worth every penny...I do miss the o/d button on the stocker though
Got some **** for ya as well

Quick Reply: Help me decide AUTO OR MANUAL