Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

6 Speed Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 09:52 PM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
You guys said the pre 2010 Cobras use it? I wonder if I could get one out of a wreck for decently cheap... I have an uncle that rebuilds transmissions...
Well then... It sounds like you have a plan.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:57 PM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Errrrrrrr... the T5 has been tried all right, and I wouldn't call it true.
This V6 ran up to 12s up to this video. (11s now I think). But either way, this tranny had years worth of passes and harsh testing drives. It lasted one hell of a long time with a hell of a lot of abuse. I think it T5 is pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anY_tMEWijk
Old 10-30-2011, 01:32 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Has anyone swapped out for a T56 Magnum? I've heard good things about the trans itself. The 6060 might be a more direct swap though if it comes out of a GT500.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:11 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

1st I'm glad I'm not alone in my consideration

And 2nd if it were up to me I'd make the phrase "Made In China" illegal.

You said Steeda has a kit? Got a link to it? It'd be much appreciated
Ha! now I can't find it on their site, I wonder if they discontinued the kit? the part number was: 162-TR6060-KIT or 162TR6060KIT

D&D performance has a kit as well: http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/pr...58cPath=108_95
Old 10-30-2011, 06:21 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

At nearly $5k, I don't see how this type of upgrade is worth it.........
Old 10-30-2011, 08:37 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
At nearly $5k, I don't see how this type of upgrade is worth it.........
And for you it probably isn't worth it. To me the big advantages are not worrying about when the input shaft is going to break and getting that gear between 4 & 5, which should push my top end speed up by 10MPH due to mechanical advantage.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:42 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
And for you it probably isn't worth it. To me the big advantages are not worrying about when the input shaft is going to break and getting that gear between 4 & 5, which should push my top end speed up by 10MPH due to mechanical advantage.
Do you track your car? Just curious why top speed matters that much.

I would like to have a gear above 5th to spin the motor slower on highway. But it appears that the OD ratio is about the same as the 5speed I already have.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Last night I was racing a 99 Cobra (*** was whooped but it was a fun race) and my car really hated 3rd gear. When I went from 5th to 3rd it took me some good effort to get it in, and when I went from 5th to 2nd to 3rd it took a hell of an effort to get it in.

Its been the same way on my friends' Mustangs.

I just come to the conclusion that since I plan on having this car for a long time (till I'm out of college and have a stable job flying for the airlines) till I can buy a BRAND NEW one (or a used Cobra), its something worth saving up for in the long run - especially since I plan on going F/I at some point.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:38 PM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

its something worth saving up for in the long run - especially since I plan on going F/I at some point.
It may be pretty sweet to say that you have 6 gears but personally there would be many other cheaper and more worthy upgrades I would do first. But that is just me.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

A good friend of mine with a Roush that dynoed 600+ at the wheels and that is without his nitrous used, swapped the 6 speed in. He said the 5 speed isn't built to take the torque and over time will have issues.

Another friend had a stage 2 Kenne Bell and 3rd gear was on it's way out.

Another friend, BSmoke got cams and headers and his took a dump shortly.

I'd do it, it seems that people dump bookoos of cash into a S/C and don't care to beef up the drivetrain and engine. Pay now or later is what it boils down to.

Quick Reply: 6 Speed Swap