Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

6 Speed Swap

Old 10-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

My plan is to go F/I with a Roush R2300 in a year or 2, then save up and get a forged crate engine, then beef the 5 speed a bit but not spend too much, and then go 6 speed

And then at that point start saving up for a brand new Cobra (unless Ford pulls a Camaro on us...)

Last edited by Young_Gun; 10-30-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:43 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...-Shipping.html

Yeah something like that, if you buy a new one. 2007 up GT500s use them. Ive seen some used for sale on craigslist for around 2k.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by red96v6
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...-Shipping.html

Yeah something like that, if you buy a new one. 2007 up GT500s use them. Ive seen some used for sale on craigslist for around 2k.
My Q is if I could save 2 grand by getting a used one (and I could probably get one for less than 2K if I looked hard enough) how much and how hard to find are the other things I need?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:15 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
Do you track your car? Just curious why top speed matters that much.

I would like to have a gear above 5th to spin the motor slower on highway. But it appears that the OD ratio is about the same as the 5speed I already have.
I do track to a degree (standing mile events) and plan to do some more road course stuff, maybe silver state classic open road events, etc.
But for the most part, it's a ***** extension, it really sucks having the same or more horsepower than some corvettes and not being able to get it up there because of the huge gap between 4-5, when the Vettes are using that .80 fifth and not bothering with 6th.

On your other part, I think the viper spec tr6060 has a .5 6th gear which would suit your goal of lower rpms, if the mustang has enough power to maintain it.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:03 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
I do track to a degree (standing mile events) and plan to do some more road course stuff, maybe silver state classic open road events, etc.
But for the most part, it's a ***** extension, it really sucks having the same or more horsepower than some corvettes and not being able to get it up there because of the huge gap between 4-5, when the Vettes are using that .80 fifth and not bothering with 6th.

On your other part, I think the viper spec tr6060 has a .5 6th gear which would suit your goal of lower rpms, if the mustang has enough power to maintain it.
Wow! That is really cool. Where do you go for the standing mile runs? I would love that. I see you're in CA, but not sure where. I'm South.

I have also heard of the Silver State Race, but never knew anyone that ran it. Sounds fun. Maybe I should google it and see how I might be able to play

I looked at the TR6060 a little further. I didn't realize there were different ratios for different cars with that trans. I was only looking at the GT500 version. But you are right, there is a .50 6th gear version that can be had. Even with the blower though, I'm not sure the little 4.6 makes sufficient torque down low to push that kind of gear. I never really thought about it until you mention it, but yes, the .50 would be really tall for the 4.6L. I do have 3.73 rear so maybe it will work. My main idea is that the engine always seem so wound up when I am cruising 80 or so on the highway. Seems like it could drop about 1,000 RPM and get better mileage and drop the exhaust noise a bit. Do you have any further thoughts on this?

I already have so much money in this car, that if it made sense, I might be able to get my head around a 6 speed. Afterall I have at least $20k in mods now, with custom paint and all. So you know.....I cannot look at it like I would ever get my money out of it. She is a keeper lol

Thanks for your insight. Much appreciated.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:06 PM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

Afterall I have at least $20k in mods now.
If you can afford 20K in mods over that short of a time, I am sure you can buy any tranny you want. Then again, you should have waited for the 5.0 and put 20K into that. That would be sweet.

Also, one would figure with 20K a supercharger would already be on there...

Last edited by SilverStallion05; 10-31-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:21 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverStallion05
If you can afford 20K in mods over that short of a time, I am sure you can buy any tranny you want. Then again, you should have waited for the 5.0 and put 20K into that. That would be sweet.

Also, one would figure with 20K a supercharger would already be on there...
I do already have a supercharger on it. I'm running the Roush M90 with the VMP 500HP pulley and tune.

Yes, I can financially afford the trans, but I am trying to see if it makes sense for MY car and how I drive it.

I knew the 5.0 was rumored to be coming when I ordered my 2010. But I wanted the 2010 instead. I really loved the look of the 10 (including the tail lights lol) but I didn't want the 5.0 first year. I know the 4.6 was a reliable engine and has been proven. I didn't know the 5.0, so I made the decision to go for the 2010.

Having said all of that, I do think I should have gone for the GT500 which I really thought about doing. I didn't think the "mod bug" would hit me so hard, but it sure did. This is my first Mustang and I love making it unique to me

Anyway, I think the 6 speed would be cool, IF it will do what I want. Meaning, I'm not worried so much about top speed, I'm just wondering if the car would settle down a bit on the highway runs and if yes, would the engine be able to push the very tall .50 gear without being labored all of the time.......
Old 10-31-2011, 07:19 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Wow! That is really cool. Where do you go for the standing mile runs? I would love that. I see you're in CA, but not sure where. I'm South.

I have also heard of the Silver State Race, but never knew anyone that ran it. Sounds fun. Maybe I should google it and see how I might be able to play

I looked at the TR6060 a little further. I didn't realize there were different ratios for different cars with that trans. I was only looking at the GT500 version. But you are right, there is a .50 6th gear version that can be had. Even with the blower though, I'm not sure the little 4.6 makes sufficient torque down low to push that kind of gear. I never really thought about it until you mention it, but yes, the .50 would be really tall for the 4.6L. I do have 3.73 rear so maybe it will work. My main idea is that the engine always seem so wound up when I am cruising 80 or so on the highway. Seems like it could drop about 1,000 RPM and get better mileage and drop the exhaust noise a bit. Do you have any further thoughts on this?

I already have so much money in this car, that if it made sense, I might be able to get my head around a 6 speed. Afterall I have at least $20k in mods now, with custom paint and all. So you know.....I cannot look at it like I would ever get my money out of it. She is a keeper lol

Thanks for your insight. Much appreciated.
Look up the mojave mile (mojavemile.com) they are doing 3 events next year with one of them being a 1.5 mile event.

I don't know how well a .5 gear would work on our cars, with my HO whipple kit, it took a whole half mile to accelerate from 140-157 in 5th @ .68, but for maintaining a cruising speed, maybe it would work. I know the torque curve on my car is highest between 3k-6k and I like a 2000-2500RPM at cruising to avoid engine lugging, and with my borla stingers, the 1600-1900 area has drone that I like to avoid.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:07 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Look up the mojave mile (mojavemile.com) they are doing 3 events next year with one of them being a 1.5 mile event.

I don't know how well a .5 gear would work on our cars, with my HO whipple kit, it took a whole half mile to accelerate from 140-157 in 5th @ .68, but for maintaining a cruising speed, maybe it would work. I know the torque curve on my car is highest between 3k-6k and I like a 2000-2500RPM at cruising to avoid engine lugging, and with my borla stingers, the 1600-1900 area has drone that I like to avoid.
That drone makes my girlfriend salivate haha
Old 10-31-2011, 08:53 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

I didn't really read all the replies however the 6spd swap from an 11 is really easy. The 4.6L and 5.0L families have the same bolt pattern so if you have all the parts inc driveshaft everything fits right in, however somebody did post that the 11+ trannys suck so unless you get everything at a REALLY REALLY good deal I wouldn't bother. Save up your money and get a good 6 speed conversion kit.