Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Adding 2 Spal 7.5" fans to Afco Intercooler with a Kenne Bell 2.6 will post results

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:39 AM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Default Adding 2 Spal 7.5" fans to Afco Intercooler with a Kenne Bell 2.6 will post results

I ordered 2 Spal 7.5" pull fans for my Afco HX. I already have a Johnson CM30 pump and water wetter already. Air purged from system.

I will post the results of the Air intake temps. I live on Long Island and no matter where you go from 8am to 8pm you are sitting in traffic.

This might be good info for people with stock HX's that just want to add fans. Spal has 6.5" fans too.

The goal is to drop the IAT from 130 at idle/traffic in 50 degree weather down to 100.

I was at 112 on the highway the other night. That will most likely not change at all with the fans.

Next step is Evans fluid and a larger tank.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 AM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

I look forward to your progress and thanks for sharing

What psi are you running? Curious what effect the fans will have in traffic as the supercharger is in bypass most of the time. I have been thinking fans for my set up also
Old 11-01-2011, 10:34 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

It's liquid cooled. Fluid is always moving, so it gets alot hotter just sitting.

Dyno showed just about 9.7 PSI at 6300 rpms.

Originally Posted by ziperhead
I look forward to your progress and thanks for sharing

What psi are you running? Curious what effect the fans will have in traffic as the supercharger is in bypass most of the time. I have been thinking fans for my set up also
Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

So what's the point of your adventure? You gonna race? Or are you just doing it to know your IATs are down?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

You can get the AFCO with dual fans. How do the fans it comes with compare to these Spal units?
Old 11-02-2011, 01:30 AM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
You can get the AFCO with dual fans. How do the fans it comes with compare to these Spal units?
I have the AFCO HX without the fans already. I am betting AFCO uses the SPAL fans. They are the best you can get. Bearings dont fall apart.

Originally Posted by Riptide
So what's the point of your adventure? You gonna race? Or are you just doing it to know your IATs are down?
I sit in traffic alot. The IATS were over 140 during August driving on the highway cause the fluid heat soaked so fast at idle/stopped. I want the lowest IAT's as possible. I don't want timing pulled/lose hp if I dont have too. If I was going to race, the problem is solved easy. Tank in the trunk full of ice and a huge pump. I did it with my E55. But it was a pain to keep up with.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Nothing abnormal about those temps with the stock (crap) KB setup. Same problem here, in August it was getting insane once it heat soaked which didn't take long just driving around town.

AFCO with dual fans is also on my todo list, along with an upgraded pump. Hopefully I get enough back from taxes this year to cover it.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hollywub
I have the AFCO HX without the fans already. I am betting AFCO uses the SPAL fans. They are the best you can get. Bearings dont fall apart.

I sit in traffic alot. The IATS were over 140 during August driving on the highway cause the fluid heat soaked so fast at idle/stopped. I want the lowest IAT's as possible. I don't want timing pulled/lose hp if I dont have too. If I was going to race, the problem is solved easy. Tank in the trunk full of ice and a huge pump. I did it with my E55. But it was a pain to keep up with.
That's basically what I did. At the track, I use a 10 gallon fuel cell as a resevoir that I can put up to 20 lbs of ice in. My IATs are about ambiant or below when I race.

I think 30 degrees maybe be a little optimistic, but I am interested to she what the results are.

Good luck.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:16 AM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

Unless your in boost the IAT's will always be higher as the air bypasses the inter cooler. Data log while cruising and let off the gas. The IAT's will go up.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

With the stock system on a hot day like he's talking about. It will drop briefly when you step on it but it won't go down that much and it will turn around and climb like a rocket ship very quick.

Quick Reply: Adding 2 Spal 7.5" fans to Afco Intercooler with a Kenne Bell 2.6 will post results