Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2010 GT - CAI ? Tune ? and Warranty ?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:20 PM
4point6GT

Default 2010 GT - CAI ? Tune ? and Warranty ?

Hey guys, I have read many threads on MF about the performance gains from the CAI and Tune combo. My interest is peaked on going in this direction as the first mod to make, but I do have a couple remaining questions.

1. Is it safe to say that all CAI's are created equal in terms of performance, and the TUNE is what provides the bang for the buck?

2. Is the 2010 stock CAI worth changing to an after market brand? I have read to believe that with the design improvements over previous years there is minimal to no gain?

3. Does a tune void warranty?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

1. A tune-required CAI has an edge over a no-tune required CAI but other than that there's very little measurable difference. About 75%-80% of your power gain is from the tune. Understand that on the '10, you're already running the FRPP bullitt tune and improved intake for the additional 15 CRANK HP over the 05-09's so a custom tune from Bama or Brenspeed will gain you the difference between what you currently have stock to the wheels and what a tuned 05-09 would see. In other words, with a CAI & custom tune, you'll be putting down similar RWHP to an 05-09 with an equivalent CAI & custom tune.

2. Since the intake on your '10 breaths a but better than the previous years, the gains from a CAI will be slightly less than those on an 05-09. But still, the extra HP is worth it IMO.

3. Although dealerships will try to intimidate you, no, a tune cannot void your warranty. A dealer can only legally deny you warranty work IF and only if the problem is related to the aftermarket part. The responsibility is on the DEALER to prove it but most people are wusses and have no *****. So if you're a wuss, don't get a CAI & tune.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 PM
jamesgribley
1st Gear Member

I am no expert but...

1. Sort of...some like certain brands...but I went with a Tunable Inductions CAI kit...do a search...their testing and their prices made me go with them for the hardware...the TUNE is the biggest area of gain...changes A/F ration, shift points if you are auto and many other parameters...the TUNE is where the change BEGINS

2. Many would agree with you there...but there is MORE air with most aftermarket CAIs and the tune accounts for that...so...

3. Shouldn't if the tune is safe...but its probably very easy for the dealership to say the tune caused an engine issue...IF there were issues...not that much of an issue to return to stock...the tuner hold the orig. tune file for returning car to stock.

HTH
Old 11-08-2011, 08:23 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

The Steeda CAI/Tune will provide power across the entire RPM range, not just a peak number. Typical gains are 20 to 25 horsepower and up to 25 ft/lbs of torque across the RPM range.

The 2010 Mustang GT's intake system from Ford is an excellent piece, but Steeda went to great lengths to make it better!!

Most CAI/Tune will result in about the same HP gain. Gus did a comparison on a 2011 Mustang GT with 3 different brands and here were the results (Note these were on a 2011). This will give you an idea that each CAI/Tune will improve your cars performance, its just a matter of personal preference when you choose which one you want.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...501349/index3/

Steeda stands by their parts and they have great relationships with many Ford dealers across the country. If a CAI/Tune ever caused harm to a consumers car then the dealer would have to prove that indeed the issue was caused by the CAI/Tune like Nuke said. However warranties do not cover abuse. So when installing parts it is up to the consumer to be responsible.

Steeda stands by their products 100% and will work with the consumer if anything happens.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-p...d-mustang.html
Old 11-09-2011, 06:39 PM
4point6GT

Thank you all for the feedback, I really appreciate the help and suggestions. My plan is to focus on the tuner to start and see what I get out it with the stock CAI, then add an aftermarket CAI, then Overdrive pulleys, etc... I have access to a Dyno about an hour away where I may be able to add the mods and test each phase. I'm a spec junkie so having that detail of data would be great.
Narrowing down the tuner selection appears to be another debate, each with a few levels of performance. If anyone has tried the Bama Race Tune I'd like to hear how drivable the car was on the street? The description on AM makes it sound like it's nor recommended. I'm curious why.

I'll sit back and let the masters chime
Old 11-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you can, get a baseline dyno done before installing any mods.