4.6L V8 Technical DiscussionsAny questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!
I'm a believer that injector cleaning is snake oil, but now considering running that or some Sea Foam through the engine.
Just did the dreaded plug change on my 06 with 26,000 mi mostly used for short trips between home and work (carbon building kind). I had read in a post that you should run a tank of FI cleaner through before trying to remove. I added a large bottle of Techron with a little more than 3/4 tank which lasts me a couple of weeks of driving. The day before the removal I made a few full throttle passes to loosen things up a bit. The following morning I removed the plugs on a cold engine, following Fords TSB. I loosened them a quarter turn using a 3/8 drive beam type torque wrench, then soaked with PB blaster for an hour. Every plug except the # 1 plug on the passenger side came out by hand like butter. The carbon was fairly thick, but was soft enough where it could be wiped off with a rag. The #1 plug was still sticky and required a couple of shots of PB blaster and a easy touch with the beam torque wrench never exceeding 33 ft lbs. At 26,000 mi, I can't say for sure if the Techron and full speed passes did any good, but it sure didn't hurt. The new Autolite HT's supposedly can handle double the torque. I installed my HT0's with nickle anti seize, greased the boots with silicon torqued to 33 ft lbs, and hopefully I should have no worries for another 30,000-50,000 mi.
I hate reading threads like this... How much was the tool?
When I first bought my car in March of '08 the first thing I did was check the build date and plug type I had. Build date of August '07 and I have the two piece plug. I swapped them at 10K for the Champions and I have almost 40K on the car now.
I take out a plug or two at random every 6 months just to check for build-up. Can't say I have found any.
I tend to use Chevron or Unocal 76 (91 tune so 91 octane). When I get on the freeway, I GET ON the freeway. I normally hammer it all the way down the on ramp and then adjust my speed to merge safely on with the rest of the cars. Most of my driving is surface streets during the week so on the weekend I find reasons to take a freeway trip to blow the motor out.
Don't know if that's made a difference but it's fun doing it
Oh wow, just read about your troubles with the plugs Ford_Dude. Man I feel your pain!
That Lisle tool sure is a lifesaver though and saves $$$$ in the end. Thanks for the tip to add to the thread, I hope people read all the way through so they know what could possible happen and what to expect before attempting the plug removal.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware
corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford
Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor