Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

My baby is sad!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 06:34 PM
KiTTyGT

Default My baby is sad!

I'm having a issue with my mustang gt. I've done some homework and noticed that this technical problem is one that is common.

It all started when the engine light came on.

My car would drop in rpm whenever I'd come to a stop or idle.

I'm not having problems with lights/radio/ so I was sure it can't be the battery?

My gas pedal is also hestitating when I press it. Than when it decides to go it'll jerk forward, which I HATE..because I can hit someone.

Anywho..went to FORD last week and had it diagnosed..and they said it was my alternator...and they estimated my grand total cost for the fix is about 600 bucks. O_o

The alterntor part : 300 some odd dollars. :/

I'm wondering should I get the stock alternator part or upgrade?

(I thought my problem was my throttle body..cleaned that and no fix..thought it was my tp sensor..nope)

Has anyone else had anything similar to this on their 05?

(44,000 miles on it..32,000 when I bought it)
Old 01-27-2012, 06:39 PM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Had the same problem with my V6.

It could be the throttle body sensor. My mechanic fixed that for me, and i've never had the issue before..

The alternator starts the car and charges the battery if im not mistaken, i don't understand how that'd make what's going on happen..

The throttle body sensor tells the computer that the throttle body is mest up and it cuts the air going into ur engine which causes this. Try the throttle body sensor its like 50-100$ and if it doesn't work go to the alternator.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:50 PM
KiTTyGT

I cleaned my throttle, but it still hestitated and nothing changed. I even mentioned the tb and the tps to the ford mechanic guy and he said those weren't my problem and that I needed a new alternator to fix the issue.

My mouth is just floored over the price..but it is the dealer they'll charge an arm and a leg. I know I can get a brand new alternator for less than 150. I'm just wondering should I NOT invest in getting a STOCK type atlernator..should I upgrade to like a PA performance 200 amp or something..those are about the price he estimated...but he never mentioned if it'd be one of those.

GrRrRrRrR!!

I had just started making exterior modifications before that light came on.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Although it sounds like a TB cleaning and/or fuel filter replacement, you should be able to replace the alternator a lot cheaper than $600. And you can't go wrong with the PA alternator. The OE alternators are mediocre.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:49 PM
KiTTyGT

^^Thats what I figured..but you know I just want to be sure my baby is fixed right..thats why I was contemplating on just sucking it up and letting ford do it.

Or just buy a pa alternator for 300 and let someone do it for me free. It suckss thats all I know.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GCCBrian
The alternator starts the car and charges the battery if im not mistaken, i don't understand how that'd make what's going on happen..
The alternater charges, the battery does the starting

the issue could be caused by RF interferance from the alternater causing an issue for a nearby part

its a common issue for it to cause a cam sensor error if the alternater is acting up in a way that doesn't directly effect its main job
Old 01-28-2012, 12:18 AM
KiTTyGT

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude
The alternater charges, the battery does the starting

the issue could be caused by RF interferance from the alternater causing an issue for a nearby part

its a common issue for it to cause a cam sensor error if the alternater is acting up in a way that doesn't directly effect its main job
BINGO.

I couldn't remember exactly how my ford buddy worded it for me..but the alternator is causing a negative effect for a nearby part which is causing the gas hestitating. I remember the word cam but I wasn't sure what the whole word was..now that I've done some research of my own..thats exactly what he said...so I do need a new alternator..he said to dissolve the issue would be to get a new one..so I'm going to go ahead to Ford and just let them fix it..at least if they screw up they'll be liable to fix it again.

I just want to get this out of the way so I can transform my car exterior and performance!
Old 01-28-2012, 02:25 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Dont pay a dealer to fix that. Do it yourself or get some friends to help you. I had to take mine out and cut the ears off of it for the m90 install. Its very easy thing to do.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

The alternator is very easy to replace. Do it yourself.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:33 PM
BrockGrimes

If it fixes the hesitation problem be sure to post up!

Quick Reply: My baby is sad!