Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Hot rod cams, bama custom tune... Backfire thru intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:13 PM
DGunter

Default Hot rod cams, bama custom tune... Backfire thru intake

The first of the year (2012) I had the local ford dealership Install my Hot rod cams from ford racing. Also I had Bama build me a custom tune. From the start it was not right it would backfire and carry on until it got up to temperature then it would be more random mostly during full throttle at low rpm's. Bama has been modifying tunes and have done a total of three with no significant change.Eventually I data-logged the car on the stock tune, It ran perfect (as in no backfiring on a cold morning), but the data-log revealed it was running 20% lean. So I re-downloaded the last tune bama sent and it continues to backfire. We ran a different data log to see cam angles and I got a reply that says there was a discrepancy in the cam angles that was possibly causing my issues. But, I don't understand how that is possible,when it ran so well on the stock tune. I also talked to the tech on a few occasions about the cam install, he assured me he had done a few and it was a pretty simple job. So my tech is more or less blaming bama and bama is so far pointing their finger at the install or the parts itself. Which basically leaves me to buy more cams and pay to have them re-installed and hope I still don't have a problem. So, I'm looking for some insight on what may be happening I thought cams would be a good thing but buying everything twice will suck. I'm not upset with anyone just frustrated at the circumstances, thanks.

The car is a 2010 GT mods are accel coils, axle-back hushpower exhaust and of course the hot rod cams, and sct tuner. Oh and need not to forget the drop in filter from k&n.

Also I installed the coils after the cam install and I also changed the spark plugs just because Which they will surely need replaced again as it is running rich....
Old 02-20-2012, 02:29 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

if it were me i'd look for a vacuum leak, clean the MAF, clean the
throttle body and then i'd load the original Bama tune and see
where you stand. good luck i hope you get it sorted out soon.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:35 PM
DGunter

Thanks I will clean the MAF as soon as possible and as far as Intake leaks or any other vacuum leaks I have searched high and low at idle and at 3k rpms. It runs fine on the stock tune thats the other thing that blows my mind.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:31 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I just read elsewhere that Accel coils are known to have issues. What plugs? Did you seat them firmly and hear them snap on the plug? Are there any misfire codes?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DGunter
The first of the year (2012) I had the local ford dealership Install my Hot rod cams from ford racing. Also I had Bama build me a custom tune. From the start it was not right it would backfire and carry on until it got up to temperature then it would be more random mostly during full throttle at low rpm's. Bama has been modifying tunes and have done a total of three with no significant change.Eventually I data-logged the car on the stock tune, It ran perfect (as in no backfiring on a cold morning), but the data-log revealed it was running 20% lean. So I re-downloaded the last tune bama sent and it continues to backfire. We ran a different data log to see cam angles and I got a reply that says there was a discrepancy in the cam angles that was possibly causing my issues. But, I don't understand how that is possible,when it ran so well on the stock tune. I also talked to the tech on a few occasions about the cam install, he assured me he had done a few and it was a pretty simple job. So my tech is more or less blaming bama and bama is so far pointing their finger at the install or the parts itself. Which basically leaves me to buy more cams and pay to have them re-installed and hope I still don't have a problem. So, I'm looking for some insight on what may be happening I thought cams would be a good thing but buying everything twice will suck. I'm not upset with anyone just frustrated at the circumstances, thanks.

The car is a 2010 GT mods are accel coils, axle-back hushpower exhaust and of course the hot rod cams, and sct tuner. Oh and need not to forget the drop in filter from k&n.

Also I installed the coils after the cam install and I also changed the spark plugs just because Which they will surely need replaced again as it is running rich....

Get rid of the excel coils. The OEM coils are the best available.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
+1. I'd start there, but the way you describe the backfire makes me suspect improper installation of the cams. I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like they did not line everything up right before reassembly...
Old 02-21-2012, 05:07 AM
DGunter

I changed the coils in an effort to help my issue it runs the same no matter which coils are used. The only plugs available are motorcraft plugs. And yes they seated firmly. The coils did also go onto the plug. And no there are no codes just a backfire in the morning and randomly during the day. I can drive the car to where it will not backfire, but as soon as you put your foot a little deeper you better hold on cause she starts bucking. Also, it doesn't miss in the morning at cold start and idle just during acceleration. Thanks for the help, but the problems were consistent before the coils.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:14 AM
DGunter

Also, the tech that did the install said he has done many and that the came really can only go in one way.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
I bet dollars to donuts (is that the saying?) that it's those accel coils. Put the stocks back on. It's just a coincidence that they started acting up when you got cams installed.

I wouldn't put the accel back on. They will fail and way sooner than any stock coils.

I would find a local dyno tuner before I buy new cams. Drive down to Bama's shop, how far is that from you?

Since you said it was backfiring through the intake, I'd check those gaskets. What are your long term fuel trims at idle?

Last edited by moosestang; 02-21-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

As already mentioned, the Accel coils are the stand-out potential issue. There's no reason to replace the OEM ones unless you are having problems with them and even then, I would just replace them with new OEM ones.

Accel is a good brand but Ford made the OEM coils almost bullet proof (like the injectors) and the injectors are not a significant mod other than modding the weight of your wallet.

Swap the OEM coils back in and take it for a spin.

Other potential causes -Timing too advanced (in this case the cam could be a tooth off on rotation), wrong firing order (not likely on new cars since you'd have to physically connect the coil to the wrong harness) this problem was more for the Spark Plug wire days.

So, swap coils and if the problem still exists, check timing. Lastly check to make sure the Camshaft Position Sensor is plugged in correctly and fully seated. Since it's responsible for controling the timing if it's damage, loose, or just not seated correctly, it could cause issues.

Last edited by Derf00; 02-21-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Hot rod cams, bama custom tune... Backfire thru intake