Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Need Opinions for Bad Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:18 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

..the converter will not lock up if there isnt enough fluid or fluid is not flowing well (filter clogged).

Yes you should feel the converter come in, along with that slight drop in rpms. So you can feel it NOT engaging. It is controlled by fluid pressure via the valve control module and O/D solenoid.
If the converter is indeed bad, as mentioned, the fluid will be burnt and you could have metal shavings from various junk.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 AM
pc_647f
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the input everyone. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get it in the air and pull the pan and inspect the condition of the fluid. Either way I'll be changing the fluid and filter no matter what. I'll let you guys know what I find.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:50 PM
pc_647f
1st Gear Member

OK, well, I solved one issue, but it seems I've created another.

I drained the fluid, dropped the trans, replaced the torque converter with a remanufactured unit from Ford. Filled the new TC with 2 qts Mercon V, buttoned it all up. Dropped the pan, replaced the filter and filled.

Here's where things start going wrong, in my mind. We did the whole procedure of filling, warming, checking, filling, letting it drain etc. We were only able to put about 4 qts fluid in the trans. Really didn't seem like enough, but it keeps draining through the fill plug (which is one one of the dumbest things I've ever seen, and I've seen some dumb stuff). So I've got about 6 qts new fluid in a trans that holds 11.9 dry. I get not all the fluid would come out, but only half including the TC?

So I get it on the road, and it's fine at first. Then it starts doing all kinds of finicky stuff. It slips on starts, there is some weird loud rattle coming from the shifter, when I come to a stop and try to leave (say a stop sign), when I take my foot off the brake, it's like the car is in neutral. If throw it in park and back in drive, it goes fine most times.

Things I'm looking at are fluid level, and shift cable linkage (it got moved around when we took the trans out and I'm trying to figure out how to adjust it.) I had to walk away last night since my frustration had sat in.

The good news, the TC engages when in top gear like the old one did not. I drove it home and once on the highway, all was well and it ran 500 rpm lower since the TC engaged, and no more OD light. Now only if it were driveable in town.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:51 PM
pc_647f
1st Gear Member

Also, the fluid was pretty dark, but did not smell burnt, and the magnet did not have a lot of metal a few small shavings I would describe more like dust. Nothing severe though.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:55 PM
JimC

Your description sounds like low fluid. Did you try filling the transmission with the car running and in gear? A little nerve wracking with a running car over your head and spinning driveshaft, but that is one way to make sure you get enough fluid in.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:21 PM
pc_647f
1st Gear Member

When I filled it we always shut it off. We were on a drive up lift, so I wouldn't have been able to put it in gear. Should it be in gear and running?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:48 PM
JimC

That was what a couple of friends and I found in a manual - and since doing that it seems to fill the transmission up all the way. I always ended up going to the dealer a day or two later to have it checked and filled, usually a quart or two, before that process.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:25 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
That was what a couple of friends and I found in a manual - and since doing that it seems to fill the transmission up all the way. I always ended up going to the dealer a day or two later to have it checked and filled, usually a quart or two, before that process.
Yeah you're supposed to follow a certain shift pattern too I think like park to neutral to drive back to neutral reverse ect i don't know you would have to check with ford
Old 03-05-2012, 01:07 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

And you're filling with the outer drain plug in, and the smaller plug inside the big plug out, correct? You need to top it off with the car running. Or get plenty in there, and be able to open the INNER (smaller) drain plug and let the excess run out, being careful of the exhaust of course.
PITA procedure to get it right.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:45 AM
pc_647f
1st Gear Member

Yes big plug in small plug out, I'm even using one of those fancy hose adapters that screws into the drain plug. I'll see what I can do about filling while running. This is the time I wish I had one of those pans with a dipstick, if nothing else than to have a fill point not under the car while it's running. Oh well, like they say, man the f*** up and do it!

Quick Reply: Need Opinions for Bad Torque Converter