Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Anyone have turbo experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Mathusula2

Great info guys. Thank you so much.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by breathegood
Do NOT support STS!!! I tried the twin turbo setup on my car. Tech support is horrible. Warranty is a joke, and it was absolutely not reliable for daily driving. The oil return pump failed under normal driving conditions in a predictable way. My car sat on jackstands for the better part of three months while STS tech support tried to figure out the problem. Everything was installed correctly and they refused to simply replace the oil return pump, still under warranty. They rebuilt it once, but hat did not solve the problem. I spent a lot of $$ on the kit and STS continually asked me to spend more to blindly diagnose the problem. Eventually they came to the conclusion that "something must be wrong with your car" and stopped returning my phone calls and emails. Off came the turbos and the car has been running flawlessly ever since.

On the plus side, when the kit was working, it made the car scary fast. Anyone who tells you that lag will be a problem with a remote mount turbo has obviously never driven one. All turbos have lag, but properlly sized, that lagged can be reduced dramatically. STS did do there homework in that department.
Could you recommend a good TT kit then? I'm looking at my options for FI and if I'm going turbo, I'm going to do TT.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
If I'm going turbo, I'm going to do TT.
Why? Single turbos are usually a better alternative, especially with higher displacement engines.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Why? Single turbos are usually a better alternative, especially with higher displacement engines.
If I'm not mistaken, most of the Supra guys that make huge power go with a big single turbo.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Not sure how... Care to explain?
Old 02-29-2012, 03:51 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Could you recommend a good TT kit then? I'm looking at my options for FI and if I'm going turbo, I'm going to do TT.
I can't comment on any other twin kits because I don't have any experience with them. I think there is only one other one on the market for the S197 anyway. I found a tuner that specializes in custom turbo builds that will turn my paper weight of an STS kit into a traditional, underhood twin turbo next winter when the car would otherwise be in storage. I think for a good TT setup, custom is the best way to go. Turbos are tricky to tune compared to a S/C and twins doubly so. Personally, I wouldn't buy another off-the-shelf turbo kit unless I had a tuner in my corner that has lots of experience with that particular kit.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by breathegood
I can't comment on any other twin kits because I don't have any experience with them. I think there is only one other one on the market for the S197 anyway. I found a tuner that specializes in custom turbo builds that will turn my paper weight of an STS kit into a traditional, underhood twin turbo next winter when the car would otherwise be in storage. I think for a good TT setup, custom is the best way to go. Turbos are tricky to tune compared to a S/C and twins doubly so. Personally, I wouldn't buy another off-the-shelf turbo kit unless I had a tuner in my corner that has lots of experience with that particular kit.
I'm within driving distance of Brenspeed
Old 02-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Fuel
4th Gear Member

This is a post on S197 of a guy custom building a tt kit for the coyote. He is going to do the same on a 4.6 very soon. There are pics of it started and mocked up on a 4.6. Amazing work!!!

Post #34 for the 4.6 kit pic.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70890

On a side note, a single turbo kit will get you great numbers and is more often than not simplier and less expensive. Only one turbo to hook lines up too, one wastegate, less piping, etc.

Last edited by Fuel; 02-29-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:46 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I have twins and if I were to do it again I would go with a single setup. There are some advantages to a twin setup but they don't outweigh the costs of a twin vs a single kit. If you really want to go twins then give Jim Napier at http://www.turbohorsepower.com/ a call and he will answer all your questions. Jim's kit is the only twin kit I would use.

Earl
Old 02-29-2012, 06:14 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Young_Gun;7858898]I'm within driving distance of Brenspeed[/QUOTE

Have u been talking to chandler about the best way to go. They do great work thats for sure as all my tuning is done there. When are u getting some FI

Quick Reply: Anyone have turbo experience?