Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
JakeO

Vehicle: 2008 mustang gt
Default Exhaust help please

I got a 2008 bone stock gt. I want a axle back exhaust to start off my modding bug but can't decide what to get. I really like flow master no matter what people say about them. But I need some opinions. I'm between the flows and pypes pype bombs. Also what series of flows sound best on these 3v engine
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
JakeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 s197 GT

The borlas sound good but are a little quiet until you add headers and x-pipe SLPs and bassanis sound great too I would go with one of those three for best sound and performance
2008 Alloy Metallic GT SLP Ceramic Long Tube Headers, SLP X-Pipe, Borla Stinger S-Type Catback Exhaust, Steeda Carbon Fiber CAI, FRPP Manifold, Moroso Catch Can, MSD Blasters, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, FRPP Blue Valve Covers, Front Strut Bar, CDC Rear Decklid Panel Emblem Delete, 3.90 Motive Gears, Carbon Fiber Disks, Steeda Diff Cover, KW V3 Coilovers, Custom 93 Octane SCT Tune
DTMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Personally, my first mod would be a CAI & tune for the performance gains before I do an exhaust which will only improve tone. But if it's exhaust you want, then I suggest you find a local club and personally listen to what they have. Sound clips on the web don't do ANY system justice.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

+1 what Nuke said.

Also, you need to consider what mods you are planning to do as they may alter exhaust tone/loudness. For example, I loved my Steeda/Borla stingers before I got cams, but I didn't like the way they sounded after the cam install. My Flows sound perfect with my Detroit Rockers...

08 GT Premium, Manual, 3.55s, HIDs, IUP, Premeir Trim, Amb Light
Appearance: HID Fogs, Smoked Fogs & Signals, 14" Ant, Black Mirror Caps, Sequentials, GT500 Spoiler & Rear Bumper
Steeda: UDPs, CMDPs, HD Motor Mounts, HD Strut Mounts, Tri-Ax Shifter, Alum DS, Billet LCAs, CAI w/CF Elbow
Other: Detroit Rockers, JBA Shorty Headers, Catch Can, Flow ATs, Koni STR.Ts, GT500 18" F/19" R Wheels, Brenspeed 93 Tune, Ethanol-Free Gas
jdmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
SILVER10GT

Vehicle: 2010 Mustang GT

SSS adrenaline series is what I have. Love the sound.
SILVER10GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcbride View Post
+1 what Nuke said.

Also, you need to consider what mods you are planning to do as they may alter exhaust tone/loudness. For example, I loved my Steeda/Borla stingers before I got cams, but I didn't like the way they sounded after the cam install. My Flows sound perfect with my Detroit Rockers...

Yup..........I have changed my exhaust 4 times. Plan for the long term. Get a cai and tune first too.

06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, Afco Dual Fan HE, 4.10s,Truetrac, Detroit Rockers, DSS DS, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, Eibach Handling, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, J&M UCA/LCA, SS Lines/ EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2011 NHRA Sportsman Class Hawaii State Champion
12.23 @ 113 mph
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ford Mustang Gt

I'm also going to agree with Flowmaster. I love the sound of them, always have. And they definitely sound good with cams.
Appearance Mods: - 18" Polished Bullits │ Retro Solutions 5000K HID's │ Eleanor Grille │ Quarter Window Louvers │ Window Tint │ Headlight Armor Smoked Headlights, Fogs, and Tails
SON OF 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
JCON
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT Convertible

I like my Mac Boomtubes but don't know that they'll sound like after other mods. My local shop will bring me in and keep swapping mufflers until I'm happy thou so I can hear each one.

270rwhp 292rwtq - 4/21/12 - Stock 87 octane + 4.10's
283rwhp 296rwtq - 4/20/13 - Exhaust 87 octane + 4.10's
330rwhp 336rwtq - 4/19/14 - Intake, P&P TB, CMDP's, UDP's, LT's, O/R ProChamber, 4.10's + 93 tune
JCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
JakeO

Vehicle: 2008 mustang gt

Don't have the cash right now for the tuner and cai. But that's on my list but for now I just want my car to sound like a mustang besides being so quiet. Il prolly go with the American thunder flows axle back if I decide to get a x pipe later on. Straight through exhaust with a x pipe are to poppy (if you will) for my liking. What you guys think?
JakeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:41 AM   #10
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 s197 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeO View Post
Don't have the cash right now for the tuner and cai. But that's on my list but for now I just want my car to sound like a mustang besides being so quiet. Il prolly go with the American thunder flows axle back if I decide to get a x pipe later on. Straight through exhaust with a x pipe are to poppy (if you will) for my liking. What you guys think?
when you get it tuned right that changes and the popping sounds good! straight through mufflers are gonna be louder than the chambered ones and less restrictive
2008 Alloy Metallic GT SLP Ceramic Long Tube Headers, SLP X-Pipe, Borla Stinger S-Type Catback Exhaust, Steeda Carbon Fiber CAI, FRPP Manifold, Moroso Catch Can, MSD Blasters, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, FRPP Blue Valve Covers, Front Strut Bar, CDC Rear Decklid Panel Emblem Delete, 3.90 Motive Gears, Carbon Fiber Disks, Steeda Diff Cover, KW V3 Coilovers, Custom 93 Octane SCT Tune
DTMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:41 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2004, 2012, automatic, borla, clearcoat, cobra, eleanor, flowmaster, hot, metallic, mustang, outlaw, rod, sound, stingers