Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

JLT CAI/SCT Tuner issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Default JLT CAI/SCT Tuner issues?

Hi all, this is my first experience with a tuner/CAI and I'm not sure if that experience was (for the lack of a better word) correct?

Everything loaded fine, I ran the 87 performance tune and installed the CAI. When I started the vehicle the first time it stalled out almost immediately. I let it sit for a few minutes and tried again, this time giving a little gas, it revved up and sat back down to idle but did not stall this time.

I let it run for about 5 minutes before taking it out, the first thing I noticed was how incredibly sensitive the throttle was now, but that was only when I applied a small amount of pressure and it was only for a split second. If I gave it too much thottle (or at higher speeds full throttle) it was like it reacted but wasn't getting what it needed to go, and the lag seemed to be longer than stock even.

I was able to find a quiet strip on the highway between exits so I ran it at speeds between 65 - 90mph and I noticed the same thing. Full throttle took the car forever to react and go.

The last issue I'm noticing, is it's now shifting very hard at full throttle but I'm not really feeling any pull?

I do want to point out that when I got home I double checked all of my CAI connections and found I was able to push the elbow of the intake closer to the throttle body and I was able to push the filter further up the mouth of the intake. I have yet to run it again but I'm hoping this helps in the morning.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:12 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

you have a CAI and throttle body you say?

anyways ive heard of people calling up the tuners and explaining to them the problem, its likely that they could send you a proper tune to load which will get your car where you want it to be
Old 03-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangisSwag
you have a CAI and throttle body you say?

anyways ive heard of people calling up the tuners and explaining to them the problem, its likely that they could send you a proper tune to load which will get your car where you want it to be
It should have already been programmed to fit my vehicles specifics, I purchased it from BAMA tunes, although the paper with my specs didn't include my Flowmaster exhaust.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

i would call bama. did you disco the battery during cai install ?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lawrencecar1
i would call bama. did you disco the battery during cai install ?
I did not, I watched a few installation video's and none of them mentioned doing that, and unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of experience.

I'm starting to think it's just the tune. Is the performance tune supose to have more low end power from a dig and less from 3rd - 4th gear?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:53 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wpipes
I did not, I watched a few installation video's and none of them mentioned doing that, and unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of experience.

I'm starting to think it's just the tune. Is the performance tune supose to have more low end power from a dig and less from 3rd - 4th gear?
you should feel a difference through the entire range, most on the low end. i would disco the battery for 15 mins and try again. if no change i would call bama. also if you are low on fuel you may want to try another tune if you have one.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lawrencecar1
you should feel a difference through the entire range, most on the low end. i would disco the battery for 15 mins and try again. if no change i would call bama. also if you are low on fuel you may want to try another tune if you have one.
I was thinking about trying the normal 87 tune to see how that felt. Before I change it I'll disconnect the battery first.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:55 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

make sure youve got the proper fuel in for your tune, but if you still have issues call bama directly and explain everything to them, i hear they are great at costumer service
Old 03-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Rmpenton

Don't try the stock tune. It won't run. I noticed the same thing with mine after the jlt series 3 and bama tune. Most of the problem is that the shift points are way too high Nd the rpm drops too much when it shifts. It is getting too far out of the powerband and torque curve when it shifts. I got them to leave the engine tune how it was but put my transmission back to stock and it is a whole lot better
Old 03-06-2012, 05:57 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Verify the MAF is pointed in the proper flow direction.

I also see none of the JLT directions now show disconnecting the battery to reset fuel calibration, but I swear my JLT3 instructions listed this step.

Edit: As stated above, do not load the stock tune and start with the JLT3 still installed.

Quick Reply: JLT CAI/SCT Tuner issues?