Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

JLT CAI/SCT Tuner issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Rmpenton

My instructions didn't say to disconnect the battery. I think the tuner resets the computer when the program is installed
Old 03-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Ok, bear with me here as like I said I'm new to all of this, but the "stock tune" part is confusing me.

I'm running the performance tune currently, but as Rmpenton pointed out I'm noticing that before the vehicle shifts, it hangs at about 6500rpm's for a second before dropping way down and shifting.

The MAF is facing the same direction as it was in the stock airbox with the writing on it facing right side up.

I'm going to call them after I get off, but so I can stay proactive (and sane) would you all recommend disconnecting the battery and reloading the performance tune?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Rmpenton

I don't think that disconnecting the battery will help. What we mean by stock tune is on the tuner it says return to stock. You don't want to do that. Call bama tunes and tell them to return your transmission shift points back to stock but leave the engine tune how it is. They will send you three new tunes that you will have to download from your email. Follow the directions in the email. Especially the one where it says return your car to stock before downloading the new tunes. Just don't try to start the car once it is in stock mode. I know it is a pain in the *** but it is worth it. The stock transmission set up is much better than the bama tunes one
Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

If everything is installed properly with no leaks, the MAF sensor is correctly installed and you are using the proper octane, then it's the tune. Is this a new CAI? Did you recently oil it? Just asking...
Old 03-06-2012, 06:35 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rmpenton
I don't think that disconnecting the battery will help. What we mean by stock tune is on the tuner it says return to stock. You don't want to do that. Call bama tunes and tell them to return your transmission shift points back to stock but leave the engine tune how it is. They will send you three new tunes that you will have to download from your email. Follow the directions in the email. Especially the one where it says return your car to stock before downloading the new tunes. Just don't try to start the car once it is in stock mode. I know it is a pain in the *** but it is worth it. The stock transmission set up is much better than the bama tunes one
oh really, so when i get a tune i should ask bama to keep only my transmission shift points stock and send all 3 again with that change? im assuming because stock would shift gears faster
Old 03-06-2012, 06:41 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I've never heard of anyone complaining about the shift points on the BAMA tunes.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Rmpenton

I am not complaining about the tune. I just found that the stock shift points kept my car in the powerband better than the custom shift points. Some people are different. I was having the same problem as the op. It felt like the car was running out of power before the trans would shift. The stock shift points fixed that. I never ran it on a dyno or anything but from the feeling of the car I think it is better. Besides that now when I floor it my head don't get thrown back against the head rest. It shifts smooth
Old 03-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Well, I called BAMA. I didn't really get an answer as to what was happening and why, but he was pretty adamant about me trying the street tune before I do anything (not sure how this is going to help me with the performance tune) but the good thing is that the street tune feels much more normal with a little gain.

Really what I'm worried about, is how long the car hangs at 6000 rpm's before shifting. If this normal with their tunes I wish he would have just told me that. I don't know enough about cars to know whether or not it's hurting the vehicle.

I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they recommend.

And to answer your question Kzonts, it is a new filter, pretty well oiled.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

what octane are you using ?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lawrencecar1
what octane are you using ?
87 octane for the 87 street and performance tunes.

Drove the street tune again this morning and it feels fine, normal shifting with a little more pull through the gears.