Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

More Money Than Brains?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:57 AM
bakon

Go big or go home.
Not my money so thats what i'm sticking with.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by duckbubbles
Start a college fund for the kids with the money you will really waste on a fleeting high of more performance. I KNOW this.

Frank
Nope, I got one and another one if we are lucky. But I already KNOW I won't be able to afford to put them trough college. If they want it, they got to work for it. All my money goes towards the mortgage and personal fun. In Europe I had my degree for under 10 grand. Here it doesn't even pay for a year. And that degree is worthless over here, and thus I work retail. I might move up to management at one point, if they give me a chance. Lord knows I am trying. But even then it is going to be stuck in retirement-funds.

AKA: Sorry kids, if you want it, you got to get scholarships. Mommy and daddy work retail, and you're expensive enough as is. They will understand when they work and have kids of their own, like I understood why I didn't get what I wanted back as a kid. The money is simply not there, and my parents had the right to their own lives and thus fun.

And OP: I am sticking to my 05GT. I was entertaining the thought of a 4 door, but with my requirements it is simply too much money. And I am not going to settle for something slow and boring. The wife has a '12 focus, and traded her 07 GT/CS for it. Her back couldn't handle the kid. I got issues with putting the kid in the back of my mustang as well, but I'd gladly suffer trough that. She'll be old enough to climb inside herself in a few years.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Weather Man
550HP.....Stock Internals.....Be very afraid....Then again, some guys are lucky for quite awhile with no drag strip usage.
Bah. Get it tuned properly and take care of it. Expect wear items to wear and replace them proactively. My car has been making 500rwhp for years with well over a hundred passes at the drag strip and my engine is screaming, "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT!"

Originally Posted by Justice
I already KNOW I won't be able to afford to put them trough college. If they want it, they got to work for it.
Agreed. The university system has been very successful at convincing people that college is worth it at any price. Find ten random people who got a degree in the last 2 years and ask them if they think it was worth the cost. College costs are artificially inflated by government interference in financing, just as home prices were a few years ago, and we all know what happened with that...
Old 03-13-2012, 03:59 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

No more than 450 rear wheel torque. Any good performance shop will tell u that. If u want some good advice or to follow up advice from the forum call brenspeed they tune for rousch
Old 03-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Tough choice........ But I think that I would personally keep what ya got and build it. It's paid off & you KNOW it has been properly cared for.
I think I would dial down the HP desire a little to keep everything functional in the long term. With 18k miles on it, it is barely broke-in. I think that I would go somewhere around 400-450HP and love every minute of driving without constantly worrying about splattering parts left & right.
A lot changes in a car when you add HP, drive-ability, durability, insurance...........
Old 03-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
No more than 450 rear wheel torque.
Bah. Bah, I tell you. BAH!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Bah. Get it tuned properly and take care of it. Expect wear items to wear and replace them proactively. My car has been making 500rwhp for years with well over a hundred passes at the drag strip and my engine is screaming, "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT!"

Agreed. The university system has been very successful at convincing people that college is worth it at any price. Find ten random people who got a degree in the last 2 years and ask them if they think it was worth the cost. College costs are artificially inflated by government interference in financing, just as home prices were a few years ago, and we all know what happened with that...

Funny someone actually thought of this to write. I am a college drop out and I make more money than those who have graduated. I dont believe that college is a recommendation that i would make however if kids want to put forth the effort and get good grades for college great. I dont believe that parents should solely be responsible for the financial stress. But if most parents started some sort of investment when they had there kids then by the time they were 18 they could do what they wanted with that money. Whether it was college or buying a home.

I just spoke to a girl a yesterday and a 3 credit hour class was over a thousand dollars. Thats the defintion of insantiy. Oh and that doesnt include books
Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Any good financial adviser will tell you that it makes more sense to fund your own retirement than your childrens', unless you want them to be burdened with your care one day.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!

And yet the unemployment rate for college graduates with four year degrees has been half the rate of people without degrees for longer than I can recall.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:50 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Not saying grads don't get jobs. Just saying college isn't worth what most people are willing to pay for it. I'm college edumacated myself. I just doesn't do grammar good.

Quick Reply: More Money Than Brains?