Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Help with X pipe please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:48 PM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Default Help with X pipe please...

There is a 05-10 Mustang GT Pypes High Flow After Cat X Pipe for $119 at www.efimustangparts.com. I really want an x-pipe because of the increase in performance (I don't expect much), and most of all the sound!! I LOVE the way the New Edge Cobras sound and they all have x pipes. It's that hollow growl that sounds like a "DO NOT F*CK WITH ME". Well, what do you think? Good quality? Anyone have this? Should I go for it? Should I stop asking so many questions?

I have Magnaflow universal High Flow CC's and Borla Axle-back stingers so I'm thinking that this should sound pretty sick.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:02 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Those Cobras are a mid muffler 5.4L engine. If you want that sound I would suggest a MAC ProChamber. It is a crossover that gives the deepness of an H-pipe and the performance of an X pipe(without the raspiness). The ProChamber is similar to a muffler in that it is basically a rectangular resonance chamber (no bafflings though). I bought one and it will be going on the car soon.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 PM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

So that's why they sound so freekin awesome. I gotta look into this. I have a feeling that it's not going to be within my budget though. Let's just say that I bought the X-pipe that I mentioned. Will I come CLOSE to sounding like hell on earth?
Old 03-11-2012, 09:40 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

It will sound a little raspy from our rev happy 4.6's but that doesn't mean a good set of mufflers can't lower it. I don't have much experience with mufflers other than my Boomtube resonators and stock.

Air intakes will generally deepen the sound. I have heard that high flow cats also deepen the sound but I won't know until after mine go on. I will be running the offroad ProChamber for a while until I get the SLP's welded up.

Another way to deepen and hollow out the sound is to go to a 3" exhaust. Wayne on here has that on his 08 GT/CS and it sounds really good.

Last edited by JCON; 03-11-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:53 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Ywt2G0O3I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKn-2bmdQFk
Old 03-11-2012, 11:03 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

the other good one is the SLP one if u want high flow cats on it but the cats sit a little low with the long tubes
Old 03-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

X Pipes are awesome but you should know a few things:
-Only some X Pipes add hp and it may be only 2-5 IF any.
-If you want a proper loud and mean sound having bad exhausts is counter productive to what your after.
-X Pipes are relatively cheap compared to exhausts and even spending another 100 bucks or so can yield a different x pipe that is uncomparablly better.
-X pipes need cats or are otherwise illegal and offload xpipes without cats although louder will give you trouble with police or dealerships if you ever try selling your car later on.

I have not heard Pypes in person but in a general sense they are okay manufacture wise. I Have Corsa Xpipes with cats, Corsa Xtreme Axleback Exhausts, and FRPP Hot Rod cams, all in the goal of sound. An expensive setup but I have never in my life heard a better Mustang. To go along with what I said. When the shop put my xpipes on and left the flowmasters to see how it sounded, it was the WORST sounding thing I had ever heard, and the whole shop was laughing. Then after the Corsa exhausts went on it was the other side of the moon, and instead of laughter it was drools. Take my word when I say xpipes are awesome, but with a poor setup you can easily ruin the sound of the mustang. Don't take it as a Don't do it, but rather a caution to be careful in what you get. Hopefully whatever you end up getting, you love!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

i got this catted x and happy with it.. claims dyno proven 20 rwhp but who knows..

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...x-pipe-05.html

Last edited by lawrencecar1; 03-12-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 AM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Thanks a lot guys. I'm going to wait until I get the $$$ for a really nice x pipe.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

20rwhp from an xpipe? I think that might be upgrading entire cat back exhaust including 3" piping... seems high for jsut an xpipe

Quick Reply: Help with X pipe please...