Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

ticking

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:44 AM
jacob force

Default ticking

ok i just bought a 07 mustang from the dealer. it has a ticking and it sounded like the injectors pulsing at first but if i get under the car it is louder. which i know it is not anything internal because when the car is under a load like going up a hill it doesn't get louder and the tick doesn't get harder. some one said something about on these cars it being common to have something wrong with a cam sensor that causes it to make that noise which makes no sense to me is this true?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:50 AM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

I know the 3v 5.4 had some issues with cam phasers/lash adjusters but I've never heard of it on a 4.6. How loud is the ticking? Does it go away as the RPM increases?
Old 03-18-2012, 08:36 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

My car has had a tick since new, but you can only hear it from underneath. It's a very rythmic tick tick (pause) tick tick.

Now on a cold start, after sitting for a few days, I'll get a tick that goes away after a minute, but you can't really hear that without the hood open.

If I can't hear it from the drivers seat, then I don't worry about it.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Thundersteel
2nd Gear Member

My '08 GT does the same thing, especially when the engine is cold. After the engine is warmed up, the noise goes away. I'm pretty sure it's the injectors (I'm hoping, anyway) because the engine runs fine otherwise.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:09 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

If this is what you are calling a tick, then you got problems. I'd call that a rattle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwodSRwXkoE
Old 03-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Mines been a ticker since I've owned it. After the blower went on it was noticeably worse on first startup which I think was due to the upgraded injectors. It's a pretty noticeable tick with the hood up. Many pulls later and thousands of miles it hasn't come apart yet.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:27 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thundersteel
My '08 GT does the same thing, especially when the engine is cold. After the engine is warmed up, the noise goes away. I'm pretty sure it's the injectors (I'm hoping, anyway) because the engine runs fine otherwise.
Not injectors if it goes away, it's probably a little bit of pistol slap.

My car does the same thing, from cold it taps lightly and goes away after a couple of minutes.

Not considered a reliability or durability issue.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

injectors ticking doesn't go away. A lifter ticking will if it's just leaking down after sitting for awhile. I first noticed mine ticking when I let the car sit for a week and the temp got down to 17*F. I went to start it and the battery was dead. trickle charged it for 20 minutes and it started, but barely and there was a tick that was in perfect harmony with the rpms. It was so cold that the car idled for 5 minutes and it still hadn't idled down to a normal idle, so i drove off at about 1500rpms.

If your ticket doesn't go away and it's not the injectors, then I'd worry. Like I said, if it's running good and I can't hear it from inside the car, then F it.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:31 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Does it sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKEon...&feature=inbox

It's just the injectors.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Thundersteel
2nd Gear Member

That's exactly what mine sounds like!

Maybe I think it goes away is because I can't hear it with the higher engine speed and road speed (and my stereo cranked!)

Quick Reply: ticking