Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI And TB problem

Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 PM
300HorsesAndCounting

Default CAI And TB problem

Hey guys,
so since Ive gotten a mustang and started to mod it I decided to join the forum. Unfortunately, my first post is about a problem. Last August I decided to purchase a JLT CAI (the carbon fiber one), a bama tuner, and a BBK TB. I followed all the directions on Bama's site and put in the CAI and the TB. When i recieved the products I put them on the next day. After snapping one screw on the TB and working with the voltage to eventually get it right, the install was finished and I got in to take it for a test drive. Well when i turned the key, the car cranked for longer than usual (4-5 seconds) and when it started, the idle was bouncing around and I had the CEL on. I pressed on the gas pedal and heard.....nothing. It was like the pedal wasnt even connected to the engine. I turned off the car and restarted it and the same thing happened : long cranking, CEL lights idle bouncing around and no gas pedal feedback whatsoever. After multiple tries I took off all my mods and put the stock tune back on and it fired up no problem and ran like normal. So what could be causing this. I made sure the spring in the TB was connected and the problem still was there. I really want to figure this out and get the mods on the car because they're doing me no good collecting dust on the shelf in my garage. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:23 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

First off, what were the CEL's it was throwing when you had them? You have the tuner, did you pull the codes and find out?

Second, I'd get a tune from BAMA for just the CAI, not the TB. Toss the CAI on and I bet you'll be fine, aftermarket TB's have been known for 2 things:
1) To cause tuning issues
2) To gain very minimal HP for what they cost.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

You wasted your money on that TB, bro. Not good for any hp/tq gains, but does exceptionally well at causing headaches. Chalk it up as an expensive lesson in modding and chuck the TB in the garbage. The post above is absolutely right. Put your aftermarket CAI on with the proper tune and you'll be good to go.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:29 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I've read several post where others were experiencing issues with their BBK throttle body. Put the stock throttle body back on, install the JLT CAI and reload the custom tune and see what happens!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Weather Man
1st Gear Member

If you want a throttle body, the Ford Racing TB seems to have the best ratings. Although, it works best when combined with intake and new heads, etc. GT500 takeoffs are popular also...just depends how you want to go.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM
300HorsesAndCounting

First, I didn't check the CEL code and and my message display read Failsafe Mode if I remember correctly. So could I get away with just a CAI on my existing tune? And if possible, I'd like to have the TB on even if I don't see big HP gains since I already have it anyway.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:28 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

I would check the CEL code, just to get confirmation of what others have stated. I would agree with the others in regards to the BBK most likely being the issue. I thought about purchasing one some time ago, but then I read like 50 threads of BBK TB issues, and decided not to get one. Call up American Muscle and you can have them create a tune for just your CAI and stock TB. Have you tried contacting BBK? I don't know what their customer service is like, but surely the might be able to guide you. On a side note, you did re-install your MAF, right? Not having a MAF installed correctly can mess things up pretty well also.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 300HorsesAndCounting
And if possible, I'd like to have the TB on even if I don't see big HP gains since I already have it anyway.
Sometimes it's best to cut your losses. I would never put anything on my car that had a reputation for doing more harm than good, regardless of how much I paid for it.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Aftermarket TB's won't gain you anything (besides headaches as you're finding out) unless you're FI or really in need of sucking more air. The stock TB can handle as much air flow and more than even a moderatley modded 4.6L can handle. Reinstall the stock TB and confirm with Bama that you don't need a modified tune (assuming they sold you a tune with the BBK TB in mind) for the stock TB.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 PM
300HorsesAndCounting

This weekend I'll try to see if I can get it working. I think I'll contact AM since their customer service is so good and see what they think. On another note, for the aftermarket TB, will I have use for it in the future if I modify my car more? I just don't really want to throw away a perfectly good TB if I may use it down the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAI And TB problem