Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

View Poll Results: Which is the best option to reduse underhood temperatures on a supercharged 3V?
Ceramic-coated exhaust manifolds 2 22.22%
Ceramic-coated shorties 0 0%
Ceramic-coated long tube headers 3 33.33%
You're an idiot, Mike. None of this is worth the bother. 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Mathusula2

Question Underhood temperatures

Does anyone have an opinion about using ceramic coated shorties, LTs, vs. ceramic coating the exhaust manifolds to reduce underhood temperatures?

How about a poll?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Mathusula2

P.S. If you pick option 4, suggestions are welcomed!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

Ceramic coated shorties or long tubes would work fine. But the OEM exhaust manifolds are heavy and made out of iron - this would still absorb the heat from the exhaust like a heat sink and radiate it in the engine bay (even with a ceramic coating applied IMO).

08 GT Premium, Manual, 3.55s, HIDs, IUP, Premeir Trim, Amb Light
Appearance: HID Fogs, Smoked Fogs & Signals, 14" Ant, Black Mirror Caps, Sequentials, GT500 Spoiler & Rear Bumper
Steeda: UDPs, CMDPs, HD Motor Mounts, HD Strut Mounts, Tri-Ax Shifter, Alum DS, Billet LCAs, CAI w/CF Elbow
Other: Detroit Rockers, JBA Shorty Headers, Catch Can, Flow ATs, Koni STR.Ts, GT500 18" F/19" R Wheels, Brenspeed 93 Tune, Ethanol-Free Gas
jdmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
JCON
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT Convertible

I just got my headers back from El Paso Powder Coating. Had them ceramic coated in matte black:

Click the image to open in full size.

270rwhp 292rwtq - 4/21/12 - Stock 87 octane + 4.10's
283rwhp 296rwtq - 4/20/13 - Exhaust 87 octane + 4.10's
330rwhp 336rwtq - 4/19/14 - Intake, P&P TB, CMDP's, UDP's, LT's, O/R ProChamber, 4.10's + 93 tune
JCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

I voted "You're an idiot" because I rarely get to vote that option, lol. It would be excellent on a presidential ballot: "None of the above. They're all idiots."

To get back to the topic at hand though, I assume the ultimate reason for wanting to lower underhood temps is to lower intake temps, which is an understandable goal. If that's your main concern, I think there are better alternatives to cooling that are not exhaust related. One of the best mods you can do for cooling is an upgraded radiator/fan setup. Good luck man.

Whipple-12psi 10 Rib Pulley Kit-McLeod RXT & Steel Flywheel-UPR Rod End LCAs, UCA, Spherical Bearing, Panhard Bar, K-member + Front Swaybar Delete-Metco LCA Relo Brackets-BMR Xtreme Anti Roll-Spydershaft-Race Star Wheels-MGW-PMP Line Locks-Stanghi O/R X-Odyssey 10 lb Battery-Moroso Separator-Eibach Front/CJ Rear Drag Springs-Strange Adjustable Shocks and Struts-MSD 2 Step-etc. 11.29@123 1.59 60'
DRAG RACE? ASK ME ABOUT MY UPR SUSPENSION.
Diabolical! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
outceltj
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007, Mustang Gt

Heat exchanger man
Detroit Rocker Cams, 410's, Saleen Supercharger, afco dual heat exchanger, TCI torque convertor, stage 3 saleen supercharger, dual gt500 fuel pumps, SS Brake Lines, and Power Slot rotors, LCAS, Koni Adjustables, alpine touch screen, PA deep tranny pan, fluidyne radiator, dynotech DS

B302 added3/31/14
11.216 at 123.42MPH
60ft-1.558
Stroked & Blown
outceltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010, Ford, Mustang

A fully vented hood like the Tiger race hood let the heat out.
908ssp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 GT, 06 Vert
Send a message via MSN to Young_Gun Send a message via Yahoo to Young_Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical! View Post
It would be excellent on a presidential ballot: "None of the above. They're all idiots."
This is the best political statement I have ever heard on here, and is going in my sig

Black 06 GT 5 speed, CAI, tuned, various electronics, scoops, nothing special

Red 06 v6 Vert

Tungsten 2007 v6 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironh19 View Post
totally, if any animal hits my car, I will genocide that species. thats why there are no kids in my neighborhood now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical! View Post
It would be excellent on a presidential ballot: "None of the above. They're all idiots."
Young_Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
danzcool
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 GT

From the thermal standpoint, I would think that ceramic coated exhaust manifold wold be best of the 3 options, whether you have headers or manifold they are all made out of iron, so that's about the same across the line, but the exhaust manifold has the least amount surface area in the engine bay, by having more surface area with the headers, you are letting more of the heat escape into the engin bay than out the back. That said, you may gain more performance with the headers than you lose with intake temps...
so you still may be an idiot... but ceramic coated is better than nothing.

danzcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010, Ford, Mustang

I agree the cast iron actually works as an insulator to a degree. The ceramic makes this more effective. Besides a vented hood doing away with the cats will help as the cats store a lot of heat and have a lot of surface area . A straight through tube there also ceramic coated would help move the heat down the pipe instead of radiating it into the engine compartment.
908ssp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
ceramic, coated, ford, headers, long, lower, monitor, mustang, s197, temp, temperature, temperatures, tube, typical, underhood