Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Dipstick Level & Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:22 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Dipstick Level & Oil Consumption

So the other day I check the oil level, and the dipstick barely had any oil on the end of it. Checked a few times, same thing. The oil needed to be changed, so I drained the oil and recovered 4.5 qts, not including what was in the oil filter, so why was the dipstick reading so low? Also, would 1.5 qt oil loss at a 5k mile interval be normal? Car is a 2006 GT, stock motor with just CAI/ tune. Thanks for any replies.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Exley

I could be wrong, but i think the dipstick only shows about a quart of the oil level. If it is all the way at the bottom line, you need to add about a quart. I'm not sure about the oil consumption. a quart over 5k seems a little high to me but I don't think it's anything to be immediately concerned about. How many miles are on your car?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

well your car does consume a little oil too through the breather and you can see it when you get an air oil seperator
Old 04-04-2012, 05:13 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies!

Exley: 50,500 miles on the car. Car runs great.

DTMR: I know what you're saying, but I figured it would be minimal through the intake since I'm N/A and not FI.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:35 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimsGT
Thanks for the replies!

Exley: 50,500 miles on the car. Car runs great.

DTMR: I know what you're saying, but I figured it would be minimal through the intake since I'm N/A and not FI.
Well the higher the rpm u drive the more its gonna suck out, so if you're constantly flooring it to hear the sound or leaving it in second or third to run through twisties, ur gonna suck oil out. n/a or not. You should look into a catch can its a great mod and protects your engine from sludge build up. Also i had a black v6 as my first mustang and i always put synthetic in it and that too would be down a half quart between oil changes
Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
Well the higher the rpm u drive the more its gonna suck out, so if you're constantly flooring it to hear the sound or leaving it in second or third to run through twisties, ur gonna suck oil out. n/a or not. You should look into a catch can its a great mod and protects your engine from sludge build up. Also i had a black v6 as my first mustang and i always put synthetic in it and that too would be down a half quart between oil changes
So i wouldnt worry too much yet. I race my car and do spirited driving and I am constantly emptying that thing. I already had to add a half a quart to my 08 and ive only driven like 1500 miles sinces my last oil change! Haha but im not worried cuz i see how much gets trapped in that can
Old 04-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

When was the oiul checked previously and how low was it then? Perhpas it was low to begin with.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:45 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

That seem like a lot. I could see burning a 1/2 quart through the pcv system over 5k miles, but not 1 quart, much less 1.5.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 AM
scottw2010
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
That seem like a lot. I could see burning a 1/2 quart through the pcv system over 5k miles, but not 1 quart, much less 1.5.
I agree. 1 1/2 quarts or even one in a 5K miles oil change is a lot. Do you have any smoke coming out the back that may indicate oil being sucked through the intake and out the exhaust? How do your plugs look? Any indication of oil?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Do you change your own oil? I have talked to a few guys around here that have their oil changed at different places and it seems the morons doing it... believes the 4.6 takes 5 quarts with a filter...

Quick Reply: Dipstick Level & Oil Consumption